It seems like there is a factory Mustang for everyone these days. There’s the V-6 version for those who want a lot of power without high insurance premiums and high fuel-economy penalties, the GT for those who want V-8 power, the Shelby GT500 for those who want even more power, and the upcoming Boss, for those who want a track car. And now, Ford is readying a Mustang specifically for drag-strip duty.
The 2012 Cobra Jet will be available directly from the Ford Racing catalog and it is purpose-built to compete in the NHRA Stock and Super Stock racing classes. The Cobra Jet is essentially a race-ready drag-strip car straight off the showroom floor.
The 2010 Cobra Jet had fully race-prepped transmissions (a choice of manual or automatic), drag-racing specific shocks and springs, manual steering, manual brakes, and a certified roll cage.
For 2012, the list includes a 5.4-liter supercharged engine with an aluminum block and Manley H-Beam rods, black anodized wheels from Weld Racing, upgraded brakes, and a revised rear-suspension setup that includes revised spring rates. An available Whipple supercharger will help propel the car to an eight-second ET.
The full list of specs is on the next page.
[Motor Authority, Mustangs Daily]
Newly Available for 2012 Model Year:
- Revised 5.4L supercharged engine – different specifications/rating than 2008/2010 model
- Aluminum engine block
- Double keyed crankshaft snout
- Manley H-beam rods
- Improved low-drag racing brakes – Strange Engineering
- Improved rear suspension w/revised rear upper control arm and lower control arm mounts
- Revised and optimized spring rates front and rear
- New design black anodized Cobra Jet wheels – Weld Racing
- Goodyear tires – all new DR compound – Cobra Jet branded
- Brake pedal 2-step switch (micro)
- Optional colors – Race Red, Grabber Blue, and Winner White – no additional charge
- 430hp 5.4L DOHC supercharged engine (aluminum block)
- 2.3L TVS Supercharger with twin 65mm dual bore throttle body
- 3-Speed C4 Auto Race Transmission – Joel’s on Joy
- 9″ rear axle w/4.29:1 Axle Ratio – Strange Engineering
- NHRA Stock Eliminator legal interior
- 8.50et NHRA certified roll cage
- Estimated weight of 3,200 lbs
- Cobra Jet trim and appearance package
- Drag race wheel/tire combination (Rear Tire 30.0 x 9.0)
- Cobra Jet spring/adjustable damper tuning
- Light-weight, low-drag brakes (manual)
- Red (M-FR500-CJ12R)
- Grabber Blue (M-FR500-CJ12B)
- Winner White (M-FR500-CJ12W)
Optional Graphics Package:
- MSRP: $1,995.00
- Includes: Powered-By-Ford fender emblems, Sweeping Snake side graphics, 5.4 Cobra Jet hood graphics, Ford Racing windshield header decal, Ford oval front fascia decals, Ford oval license plate decal, FR500CJ decklid decal.
- Optional graphics may be unique to Cobra Jet body color.
Optional 4.0L Supercharger upgrade – M-6066-SCJ:
- MSRP: $9,995.00
- Step up to the most powerful combination in NHRA Super Stock. The 500hp 4.0L supercharged 2010 Cobra Jet has delivered mid-8 et’s, Class champions, divisional race winners and national records all in its first year on track!
- Ford Racing offers their exclusive upgrade kit to the base 2012 Cobra Jet for the racer looking to perform at the highest levels of NHRA Super Stock Competition.
- Kit includes supercharger, billet throttle-body, complete inlet system with 140mm billet mass-air housing, installation instructions, and exclusive Ford Racing race-ready calibration.
- Final horsepower rating TBD, rating will differ from 500hp 2010 model.
- 4.0L Supercharger upgrade is delivered separately and must be installed by the end user.
This story originally appeared at Mustang Bl