Starting on December 7, 2008 at 8pm EST, Discovery HD will air its special about the Mustang Challenger for the Miller Cup. From the description from MillerCup.com, the show, titled Why We Race: The Mustang Challenge, sounds like it will play out like a reality game show with the drama of the races combined with off-track challengers.
Every FR500S for the series was prepared in the exact same fashion, so it comes down to team planning and pure driving ability, and those drivers range from rookies drivers to established road racers, and the support teams vary as well, from small family run teams to large multi-car teams with a large financial backing.
Each event consists of two 30 minute practice sessions, a 25 minutes
qualifying session, and a race that typically lasts about 45 minutes.
The 2008 series was comprised of eight events:
• Road Atlanta May 01, 2008 – May 03, 2008
• Mosport Jun 13, 2008 – Jun 15, 2008
• Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Jun 20, 2008 – Jun 21, 2008
• Barber Motorsports Park Jul 18, 2008 – Jul 20, 2008
• Lime Rock Park Aug 15, 2008 – Aug 16, 2008
• New Jersey Motorsports Park Aug 29, 2008 – Aug 31, 2008
• Miller Motorsports Park Sep 19, 2008 – Sep 21, 2008 (This is a two-race event)
The 2009 series will add two more events, with a total of 10, adding
the fabled Laguna Seca and Homestead-Miami Speedway, and is scheduled
to begin on March 14, 2009. However, for those interested in seeing
the field of FR500S Mustang tearing around the tracks during the 2008
Miller Cup, check your local listings!
Ford is using this series and this program to promote the Mustang, as
well as the capacities of the Ford Racing FR500S. Will you watch this
program, or does it sound like they’ve turned it into too much of a
reality-drama? Tell us here!