Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TECH: replacing the stock throttle body

Old 12-03-2005, 02:49 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default TECH: replacing the stock throttle body

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WAS WRITTEN UP AND SUBMITTED BY our member Swieduwi

Thanks Swieduwi

REPLACING THE STOCK THROTTLE BODY
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/42CB388F23BC45779C052673F560A2D4.jpg[/IMG]

1. Loosen the hose clamp securing the factory molded intake hose to the factory throttle body.
2. Remove the intake hose from the throttle body.
3. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the TPS sensor and the throttle motor.
4. Loosen and remove the (2) bolts and (2) nuts securing the throttle body to the intake manifold.
5. Make sure that the factory rubber o-ring style gasket remains in the intake manifold. If it falls out simply put it back in.
6. Take the factory throttle body and place on a flat surface and remove the TPS sensor which is located on the passenger side of the throttle body.
7. Install the TPS sensor onto the GMS Billet Throttle Body. Make sure to orientate the sensor in the same direction as it was when installed on the factory throttle body.
8. Remove the (5) screws securing the gear cover and throttle motor to the factory throttle body. Do not remove the (2) Phillips head screws that secures the motor cover.
9. Carefully separate the gear cover from the throttle body by slowly lifting the cover away from the throttle body. You will notice that an internal spring is still engaged. By carefully tilting the gear cover/motor assembly at a slight angle rotate the assembly clock-wise until the spring pressure is released and the spring tang is also released from the inner gear. Lift the cover/motor assembly fully away from the throttle body and set aside. If the throttle return spring releases and falls out once the pressure is relieved, this is okay.
10. If the throttle return spring with plastic locking cap became separated from the gear cover during the previous step it must now be re-inserted into position in the gear cover.
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/8334947F28F942648FB95EC593D46FDF.jpg[/IMG]
11. Looking down onto the cap, notice the (2) different width locking tangs. Position these tangs into the corresponding slots of the throttle return spring pocket in the gear cover. Apply pressure in a slight counter-clockwise rotation to lock the tangs into position.
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/CBB55B360E6645469D59128AB036CFEC.jpg[/IMG]
12. Carefully position the gear cover with throttle return spring over the throttle body throttle shaft. Align the throttle return spring so that the metal tang aligns with the hole in the recessed area of the throttle shaft gear. Be sure to engage the metal spring tang into the hole through the gear.
Note: If the gear cover assembly has a cap over the throttle return spring follow steps A - D Skip step 13 and 14
A. Use a small screw driver the pry open the lid at the latch
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/0400FBC53BD847AD8F65F8F87DFC8C05.jpg[/IMG]
B. Replace the cover on the throttle body, once aligned press both assemblies together and secure with the (5) screws originally removed in step 8
C. Using a screw dirver, Apply pressure in a slight counter-clockwise approximate ¾ of a revolution to lock the tangs into position
[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/6B976F6B22DD41D89EA2AB6932341EEA.jpg[/IMG]
D. Replace the spring cover.

Skip step 13 and 14

13. Gently rotate the gear cover assembly in a counter-clockwise rotation approximate ¾ of a revolution until the cover realigns with the throttle body. Note:This step can be accomplished much easier if the throttle return spring is stretched in length approx. ¼ inch longer than stock. This will allow both sets of tangs to stay engaged while rotating.
14. Once aligned press both assemblies together and secure with the (5) screws originally removed in step 8. Rotate the throttle shaft throughout its full range of motion by moving the throttle blades with your finger. Check that there are no areas of bind and that the movement is smooth.

15. Place your GMS Billet Throttle Body up to the intake manifold and secure with the original hardware. Do not over tighten as you may pull the threaded inserts from the composite manifold.
16. Re-attach the intake hose to the throttle body and tighten the hose clamp.
17. Reconnect the electrical connectors to the TPS sensor and the throttle motor.
18. Start engine and make sure idle is normal. Depress accelerator and check for smooth feel and operation.
19. Close hood and have fun!

Note: The first time you start the engine is may rev high then shut off, this is the computer adjusting for an increase flow of air
Old 01-11-2006, 08:05 PM
gregsdart
1st Gear Member

Default RE: TECH: replacing the stock throttle body

What is the performance(hp?)advantage of this mod? Does it need a retune or is it OK as a bolton?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:55 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I am going to be unbias so as not to cause any flameing here, I am posting my Dyno that I had done with the Throttle Body and K&N CAI installed not other mods. and a SCT XCAL II Tune from Excessive Motorsport here in Manassas Virginia. unfourtunatly I do not have a baseline dyno, But on Average a 2005 Mustang GT with and Automatic trans comes stock with about 255 RWHP.
Now the K&N Aircharger advertised Estimated Horsepower Gain: 15.26 HP @ 6000 RPM
and the Advertised HP Gain from the Billit 62mm Throttle Body is 8 HP
So without a baseline I can not say I have made any Gains from the TB as you can see from my dyno I only have a 15hp gain after a tune. I have done tests on another car and it only gained 2-3 hp with the TB and tune.

I did get a snappier throttle response before the tune as well as after (SCT took care of most of that)
But the dual 55 mm stock orifices are equal to one 77.78 mm total air intake. 77.78 is still a pretty big hole for a little 4.6 engine

In my opinion; if you are not going to get a tuner but you want the same gains from one, then the TB and K&N Air Charger would be my picks, but a good tune and CAI fixes most of the throttle and performance issues.

Also Both the K&N and Throttle Body advertise that no tune is required I was told by ford that if you disconnect the battery when doing these mods, the computer will compensate for the A/F Mix and will not run lean. (Please no flames) just passing on what I was told, period.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18759/0DCDFF50A4E1424B8105069C990477AD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2006, 02:28 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Ok, I have heard the good, bad and ugly about T/B's. I have a MOTOBLUE on mine along with a few other things. My tuner liked the T/B after he figured out how to tune to it. Here ya go - 304.83 rwhp/ 333.16 rwtq

[IMG]local://upfiles/28178/3839FE16B7B248D3B51F0D4CEA086338.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-10-2006, 04:13 PM
godochaos

Thanks for the great write up. I installed my Motoblue TB and did not set the tensioner properly so i occasionally get a little weird flow on idle. I will print your instructions and go back and attempt to set it properly.

Another issue possibly related. I did initially see better throttle response after install and then as a week passed my throttle got "laggy" again. I have about a 1-2 sec delay between when i floor it and when the throttle really opens. I had initially gotten rid of a lot of throttle lag when i did my predator tune but it seems to come back. I guess its that spanish oak processor or the computer or whatever anyway I HATE IT. So do you think I need to just disconnect that battery and reset the computer? will that help maybe or do i need to get a custom tune. I'm not an expert but I have tried to tweak the predator and have had pretty good success, but it seems like as time passes my throttle lag comes back its strange.

I have not gotten on a dyno yet, that may help, if i knew my A/F ratio then i would have a clearer idea of what to do.

thanks in advance for any help!
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Longhaul89

Okay, am I the only one that hates his motoblue?[:@]
Installed it, with the batt. disconnected,etc. set the trottle spring one click.
Fired up car, let it run ten minutes like they said. Then after turning it off, started it and drove it. Horrible. Rough, can't maintain a decent steady rpm. Also triggered the failsafe mode on the engine. Will not idle even, hunts and seeks. Car ran great before this change. Have C&L intake, Diablo tuner (with the 91 octane tune) and slightly better exhaust (bassalini x pipe&magnaflow cat back).
I tried again tonight driving it, after disconnecting the battery again for more than 12 hours. Same thing.Failsafe again. I tried to carfeully put some highway miles on it to maybe let it learn and settle in(after hitting reset), but to no avail. Tried adding a click to throttle spring, no change so I moved it back. Real slow to come down from revs,too. Makes shifting fun...I don't know what to change on the tuner, this is out of my scope of things.
Anyone else have simular problems and if so , how did you cure them? If at all.
Appreciate the help as the car is virtually undrivable right now. [X(]
Old 02-16-2006, 11:58 PM
im4auburn

I got the Granatelli 62mm throttle body for my 06 GT. I have the C&L racer intake with predator tune and underdrive pullies. The computer did not like the throttle body. Every time I put in the clutch, the engine would rev up to 2500 RPM. I had to ride the brakes in the parking deck because the car did not want to run at a slower RPM. The car ran very erratically sine putting on the TB. The check engine light came on, too. I fiddled with it but had no luck. I returned it and put on the original TB.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:05 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Mine acted a little funky before the custom Diablo dyno tune. I still get a little idle fluxuation on occasion, but only a very slight one. As for the throttle response, it has been great and I have done about 600 miles since the tune. I did get a prototype T/B that came off of the dyno at Motoblue. It should be the same as the production unit as far as I know. I have heard a lot of complaints about T/B changes in general, but knock on wood, I am not really having the same issues. The Spanish Oak definately is in a class of it's own to say the least, so maybe they jumped the gun on the T/B upgrades before getting a clear picture of how the processor would react long term.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Longhaul89

Question: how did you get the proper tune? Did you contact Diablo, and then download it?
I suspect my T/B is a prototype, also.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:19 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

I went to a local Chipmaster Revolution tuner who did a custom Diablo dyno tune. He worked with Motoblue and Diablosport via internet and landline to build the proper tune. It was a challenge, but the final result was outstanding as you can see on the dyno sheet earlier in this string..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TECH: replacing the stock throttle body