General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

supercharger problem (a/f ratio?)

Old 03-07-2006, 07:15 AM
99SCRoush

Default supercharger problem (a/f ratio?)

hey guys, so i just bought a 99 roush stage 2 w/ a stage 3 body kit on it and a vortech supercharger (6psi). only other mod besides the SC is flow master mufflers. anyways, here are the symptoms: a ticking noise from inside engine bay (increases and decreases accordingly to RPMs) -- smells like it is running rich -- misfired when applying a little over half throttle in third -- idles around 1K a lot of the time. I am wondering if it is timing, ignition, or maybe my air fuel is messed up, vaccuum leak?? it started happening after a drive on a windy road, and i was above 3.5K a lot of the time...i am not too knowledgable about boosted engines yet, and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here. thanks for looking
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 AM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger problem (a/f ratio?)

at first i was thinking exhaust leaks but because of the misfire i would check for arcing, which is the plug/wires grounding to the block/heads/etc. with the engine off....check the plug wires around the headers for burn marks or cracks. with the engine running...you can also check for arcing by popping the hood at night in a dark area and just looking for sparks. i would still have that car tuned by a good tuner...the stock settings are usually very rich. sound like a nice stang...good luck
Old 03-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Does it make the ticking noise at idle? Can you hear any of the ticking out the exhaust in back while the car is sitting and idling?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:23 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

You can check for a vacuum leak very easy, get some sea foam from your autoparts store and pull off a vacuum line that is sucking in. Stick it in the can of sea foam and let it suck down about a fourth of the can. Have someone sit in the car and keep it running. It will blow white smoke out of the tail pipe...don't be worried, it is just burning off all your extra carbons and junk builit up inside your intake and cylinders. If you have a vacuum leak, you will see white smoke under the hood also. To me it seems like you have an ignition problem Try using some wire looms to separate your wires. Good Luck!
D
Old 03-08-2006, 04:59 AM
99SCRoush

do you think one of my spark plugs could be under/over gapped? corroded? it seems like an injector/spark plug problem, although the guy at the shop said it was an exhaust leak...but that just doesnt sound right...
Old 03-08-2006, 01:30 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

Could be. Have you checked the gap?
D
Old 03-08-2006, 05:30 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99SCRoush

do you think one of my spark plugs could be under/over gapped? corroded? it seems like an injector/spark plug problem, although the guy at the shop said it was an exhaust leak...but that just doesnt sound right...
did you do anything anyone suggested?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:03 AM
99SCRoush

i checked my belts, seem to be ok..i checked around my spark plugs and didnt notice any arcing, but couldnt get too good of a look...unfortunately i cannot remove my spark plugs to check their gaps because i cannot get to them and dont have a spark plug socket, but I am taking my car in to get its 60K mile tune/check-up soon, and was going to have them replace all plugs and wires anyways. I am wondering if it is an injector?? I know the stock injectors are only 19lbs, and dont think the previous owner changed them out when he got the supercharger put in...as i have heard 19lb injectors should only be pushed up to around 350 hp. i could be wrong, but if this is true i have a feeling i am pushing too much power for them (around 360 at the crank i think). how can i test for an injector? also - any suggestions on new spark plugs, and should i have them gapped differently then stock due to my SC. sorry about all the questions, but as i said before im new to the boost scene, so bare with me for a little while...thanks again

ps - my freind said it could be a bent valve?? that possible?? i doubted him, but i guess i cant rule anything out until im more certain...
Old 03-12-2006, 09:53 AM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

I highly doubt you have a bent valve. Is your check engine light on?
D
Old 03-12-2006, 10:19 AM
beheivjer
2nd Gear Member

what grade gas are you running?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: supercharger problem (a/f ratio?)