Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1969 Mustang Giveaway

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 07:19 PM
garywwelch
1st Gear Member

Default 1969 Mustang Giveaway

OK Got your attention...

As some of you know I am an on air announcer for Cumulus Broadcasting's in Abilene. I am also the Director of Marketing and Promotions. We have decided to give away a 1969 Mustang for our next promotion. To qualify to win, the listeners will have to watch KRBC TV 9 News at 6 and 10 PM. The TV News Team will ask a trivia question about the Classic Mustang or perhaps a question regarding music from 1969 and give the answer. The following day the Deejays will take callers who know the answer when they hear the sound of the 1969 Mustang fire up and take off. You will be able to follow the progress on our website at 102thebear.com. We should have the page up and running by the end of the week. On the front page will be a picture of a red 69 Mustang and the wording " 102 The Bear's Classic Car Giveaway. That will be a hot link to the page with the picture, sponsors and progress. I would love it if everyone would follow along and guide me thought the restoration.

The Mustang is in pretty good condition but we are planning to do a complete restoration on her. The radio station is Classic Rock 102 The Bear and has teamed up with various clients to make the restoration complete and affordable for them to be involved. For example Stanley Ford in Sweetwater is doing the engine and AC, we have a body shop who will do the body, and upholstery company who will be responsible for the entire interior redo, Firestone will do the wheels and tires, Big Country Transmissions will rebuild the tranny, Sullivan's Power coating will power coat every thing, DJ's 5 Star Auto Service will put a 4 wheel disc brake system on it and handle all the electrical. The list goes on, but you see my point.

I picked it up in Houston this past weekend and dropped it off at the Ford Dealer to have the engine and tranny removed.

My question to everyone is: In what order should I do the restoration. Keep in mind, since we have different sponsors for each phase, I will have to move the car around town for each.
Below are the phases I have planned. I would love to hear your feed back.

STEPS ACTION
1 Remove the engine and tranny
2 To the upholster for the interior to be removed
3 To the body shop to have all chrome, trim etc removed and the axle remove.
4 To the sandblaster to have the engine bay, truck and interior paint sandblasted.
5 To the Body shop to have the paint stripped. (Using aircraft striper rather than sandblasting to prevent warping)
6 Paint the interior, engine bay, trunk, under carriage and then the body primed.
7 Install the rear axle (after it is power coated)
8 install the front suspension and 4-wheel disc brake and temporary wheel and tire (for transporting)
9 engine & tranny
10 Paint the exterior
11 Interior installed
12 install a complete sound system (Valued at $3,000.)
13 New wheels and tire
14 Drive the car myself a day or 2 because I will not be able to resist.
15 Give the car away to one lucky winner.

I have never gone completely through a car from top to bottom before so this will be new for me. I am cordiinating the restoration with the sponsors, I really need to be sure of what I am doing, So I would like as must feed back for everyone as possible. Keep in mind the time frame is approx. 3 months. We plan to give the car away in mid June. Our Downtown Association and the Grace Museum will host a classic car exhibit on Cypress Street in downtown Abilene, Texas that week and the final night of the exhibit (Saturday) we will bring all the qualifiers to the event where the car will be unveiled. Each qualifier from our on air contest will be given a certificate (a picture of a Ford Key and their name on it from the station) we will let the qualifier register by turning in their certificate to get a 5 digit combination to a safe. Once we know the exact number of qualifiers who will be there to try to win, we will issue each a 5 digit combination of which one will open the safe. The one with the correct combination will open the safe to find the keys, title and all documentation to drive their brand new 1969 Mustang home.

I have been planning this now for about 6 months. We have not gone on the air with the details yet. You guys are the first to hear them. So please help me make it successful

Thanks

Gary

If you want to email me at work my email address is justin.case@cumulus.com

Here is a link to pics of the car the way I found it.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y241/a...20red%20stang/

Old 03-14-2006, 01:29 AM
Baker
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 1969 Mustang Giveaway

Your order of operations seems sound 'cept you made a type-o on #15. It should read "give the car to Baker"

Great promo! What are the details on the motor build? Can I have the car now?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

That sounds like a pretty good plan of action to me. There are going to be things like the rubber body plugs and all the gaskets for the door handles, tailights, P-lights etc that you will want to replace, along with things like the firewall plugs, etc. Any chance you can get Dallas Mustang, or someone like that on-board? Little things like these and decals really make the project stand out. Not expensive, just something else to chase down.

I hope you've been watching lots of "Over-Haulin' " episodes.

Good luck! and have fun with it.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:08 AM
garywwelch
1st Gear Member

Scott,

I have put in a call to both Dallas Mustangs and Summit Racing to see if they will get on borad. That was about 3 weeks ago and Ihave not heard back from them yet. Either way, with the sponsors on board locally, we should turn out OK. THis has personal pride built in to it, becasue the bosses thought I was out of my mind. I maybe, but it is going to be a ton of fun to watch this carf go from the condition it was in when I pulled it out of hte barn to the final giveaway.

By the way, for those who want to play along and get qualified, you can do so on line once we get it up and running.

Gary

here is a link of the car in the barn.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y241/a...20red%20stang/

I found out about this car from a forum member who had looked at it and was sharing his find with us. Thanks Matt.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:11 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Awesome idea and I'm sure it's gonna do great but if I was going to do that much to that car I would at least go the extra mile and get a f/b or a convertible. I'm sure people are gonna love it though, keep me posted.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:00 PM
garywwelch
1st Gear Member

A F/B or convert would have been great, but I had 2k to buy a car with and could not fine a F/B or convert at that price. Either way, when this baby is finished, she will be a cream puff.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:12 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Oh ok I understand now. That's definitely going to look crazy when it's done.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:24 PM
garywwelch
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 1969 Mustang Giveaway UPDATE

The engine was removed and Stanley Ford in Sweetwater will be rebuilding it using all Ford Motor Sports part.
The Tranny is at Big Country Transmission for a complete rebuild
The body is being disassembled and ready to to the sand blasting and then paint stripping.

I was going to post pics today, but I forgot my camera at the office. Sorry! I will post them tomorrow.

Happy Trails

Gary