5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How to clean an EGR valve?

Old 04-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default How to clean an EGR valve?

I've heard mention of folks having to clean theirs. Can anyone tell me how it's done. Also, I just ran some tests on my EGR, and verified that the system is at least working. One thing kind of perplexed me though: When I removed the vacuum line from the EGR valve, it made no difference in the way the engine ran. I could feel a bit of pulsing suction when I put my finger on the vacuum line itself, but not much. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:15 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How to clean an EGR valve?

hole in diaphram?
Old 04-02-2006, 12:19 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Twisted

I've heard mention of folks having to clean theirs. Can anyone tell me how it's done. Also, I just ran some tests on my EGR, and verified that the system is at least working. One thing kind of perplexed me though: When I removed the vacuum line from the EGR valve, it made no difference in the way the engine ran. I could feel a bit of pulsing suction when I put my finger on the vacuum line itself, but not much. Any thoughts on this?
That is normal. And you won't notice any change at idle by disconnecting the vacuum line. It is designed to function under criuse conditons. As far as cleaning it, you do it like you clean the iac. Push the valve open and spray away inside it.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies folks. So I can feel free to remove the valve and put it back on with the same gasket or spacer?
Old 04-02-2006, 04:13 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

No change in the way it idles....hmm i might need a new one then, mine either kills the engine or raises the rpms about about 300-500 rpms
Old 04-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 50mikey

No change in the way it idles....hmm i might need a new one then, mine either kills the engine or raises the rpms about about 300-500 rpms
Really? Thanks for the info. Actually, I can't help but feel that your's is doing what it is supposed to, but that mine is not. I just cleaned the thing out, and it made no difference. I'm going to hook some mercury sticks up to the vacuum line, and see what kind of vacuum it's pulling. Running out of ideas as to why the car's idle is slightly irregular.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:48 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

Well I wish mine was operating correctly, but I have a suspisioin that it is not. Take a lookee at what happend to my car the other week. If you notice it is the EGR port, which leads me to believe that i need a new EGR valve or modulator or something...

far away
close up
Old 04-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 50mikey

Well I wish mine was operating correctly, but I have a suspisioin that it is not. Take a lookee at what happend to my car the other week. If you notice it is the EGR port, which leads me to believe that i need a new EGR valve or modulator or something...

far away
close up
Wow! I can't even dream of what would cause that. I hope you get it fixed and, more importantly, figure out what caused it in the first place.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

On second thought, maybe the valve was stuck open and allowing gases at insane temperatures into the manifold. Yikes.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:11 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

Thats my best idea is that it got stuck open or closed and the super heated exhaust just sat there and burned the hole. I do hope I get it figured out though, I have a 2000 mile trip in a couple weeks, and that happend over an 800 miler. Im thinking about hooken up the ol tweecer again and shutting off EGR completely and just take the valve out. I havent made up my mind yet though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to clean an EGR valve?