5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine pull

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 06:55 PM
tinner7
2nd Gear Member

Default engine pull

hi, just a quick question, on the 302, where do you hook up the chains to pull the motor out? I don't see any lifting lugs??

any help would be great
Old 04-22-2004, 08:17 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Default RE: engine pull

Depends on if you have a carb'd 302 or EFI. If you have a carb'd 302, you can use an engine lift plate on the intake manifold once the carb is removed, which is really the best way. If you have EFI, or even another alternative if you don't have an engine lift plate, you can unbolt the outermost header bolts and reattach the bolts through the chain links. This is how I got the 302 out of the '85 I'm rebuilding and it worked fine. Make sure you tighten the bolts pretty good once the chain is attached so you don't bend the bolts.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:33 PM
Mustang88LXKid
3rd Gear Member

use an engine plate, chains are kinda scary in my opinion
Old 04-22-2004, 09:24 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: USAMuscle

Depends on if you have a carb'd 302 or EFI. If you have a carb'd 302, you can use an engine lift plate on the intake manifold once the carb is removed, which is really the best way. If you have EFI, or even another alternative if you don't have an engine lift plate, you can unbolt the outermost header bolts and reattach the bolts through the chain links. This is how I got the 302 out of the '85 I'm rebuilding and it worked fine. Make sure you tighten the bolts pretty good once the chain is attached so you don't bend the bolts.
NO!!!

Do not use the engine plate if it has an aluminum intake they are no stranger to snapping one in half.

Personally i have grade 8 bolts that are longer than my regular header bolts and i put the eyelets on with these bolts and use the chain.

You think a chains scarry?You obviously have never seen an intake crack or break with your engine on it.Ask my neighbor about the stealth intake off his 350 and oil pan he just had to replace because of using the plate.

I suggest chains personally but if you are comfortable with the plate use it.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:47 PM
tinner7
2nd Gear Member

my motor is carbed with the aluminum edelbrock performer intake, my aftermarket headers are still on the block, do I need to pull them off to use the chains?
Old 04-23-2004, 05:52 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

no, you don't have to pull them off, just remove one bolt at the right front and left rear and replace it with a longer bolt and a big washer so the chain link can't slip off the bolt.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:28 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

If you've got the time can't hurt to do four corners, just to be safe. Nothin wrong with chain as long as you make sure it's secure.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:36 PM
619socalstang
3rd Gear Member

the four corner idea is not always a good one because you will need to twist, angle and a lot of other funny stuff to get the turnkey motor out of you stang, four corner hook up will hender this action. i would do it like roudman and killer say, its the way it is done.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:50 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

I've used that with another attatchment between the puller and the engine, like a balancer/swivel. Without that you're right, didn't really think about that, it's easier to move it with only two if it's going straight to a puller.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:16 AM
tinner7
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the input, I pulled the motor out today, used a leveler, removed the intake and bolted it to the valley, worked slick. I had a small problem mounting it to my stand though, I went to 3 differant places for bolts long enough, even took a old one with me, all three places gave me 3/8" bolts, which I now know it takes 7/16" bolts. Got her all set up now, next comes the fun part of tearing it apart, figureing just what all I have on this motor and then putting it all in the new car

Quick Reply: engine pull