5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What color should I paint My 91 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 04:39 PM
jaybquick
1st Gear Member

Default What color should I paint My 91 GT?

Hey everyone. I am up in there on what color scheme I want on my 91 Mustang GT. See pic below of the car. I am up in the air between Red with White stripes and Red with Black stripes. Or another scheme?

I want to stay red and I hate flames. Thanks.

A picture of my car for reference.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:34 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What color should I paint My 91 GT?

I would do red with black stripes or even better black with dark maroon stripes.... mkae the stripes go all the way down the front clip, and through the saleen spoiler and everything... make the two stripes so that there is only about an inch or two between them, and about 8 inches wide... then on the outside of each stripe go over about another 1/4" and lay down a 1/4" stripe there as well...on on each side of the intial stripes

Then, I would take some of that left over black paint, and reshoot the trim pieces around the windshield and such so they look new again, and they'll already be pulled off the car if you get it done right, so this really won't take much more effort to just do before putting them back on the car. Go ahead and clear coat them to to make the car really stand out at the shows!!!
Old 04-08-2006, 05:54 PM
jaybquick
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89gtsleeper

I would do red with black stripes or even better black with dark maroon stripes.... mkae the stripes go all the way down the front clip, and through the saleen spoiler and everything... make the two stripes so that there is only about an inch or two between them, and about 8 inches wide... then on the outside of each stripe go over about another 1/4" and lay down a 1/4" stripe there as well...on on each side of the intial stripes

Then, I would take some of that left over black paint, and reshoot the trim pieces around the windshield and such so they look new again, and they'll already be pulled off the car if you get it done right, so this really won't take much more effort to just do before putting them back on the car. Go ahead and clear coat them to to make the car really stand out at the shows!!!
I agree. Don't worry I am getting a 10k paint job done, full strip and repaint in and out. All new glass, weatherstripping, repainted trim.

Thanks for the info on the stripe sizes. that is what I was thinking of.

Or like this with red on the bottom.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:15 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

yeah... on the stripes, what you want is for the outermost part of the outer stripes to be close to, but not touching, teh inside corners of the front head lights, and leave only a small gap between them...

What I'm going to do on my car if I can afford it is a gunmetal base coat for the whole car... almost with a little bit of a gunmetal/champagne type color... very rich... then the stripes will be astraight silver color, and willl be done ghost style, so that in the right light, they disappear!!!!!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:24 PM
jaybquick
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. Anyone else?
Old 04-08-2006, 10:31 PM
jaybquick
1st Gear Member

How about something like this, a guy on another forum photoshopped it for me.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:39 PM
mrmtri3
2nd Gear Member

Personally, I don't like it. If you want to go with the 2 tone paint scheme look into one color from the body molding up and another color below and including the body molding. It's the classic GT paint scheme.

I saw a thread several days ago with a few pics of that paint scheme.

However, it's your car and you are the one who will be looking at it every day. def try to get "Chop Shop" to help color your car the colors you are thinking it will help a lot.

I have a 91 LX Hatch I'm getting painted one color, with the window trim, door handles and mirrors in black.

I agree with "89gtsleeper" suggestions on the stripes. Try to see if you can get chopped to see what they will look like.

just my 2 cents
Old 04-08-2006, 10:43 PM
jaybquick
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I don't want the classic 5.0 GT 2 tone. I have spent too much time customizing the suspension and getting those meats to fit to look like others. I am working on getting stripes shopped on.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:45 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

solid wildstrawberry!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:50 PM
mrmtri3
2nd Gear Member

np. Like I said it's your car. We all want to do something to make ours stand out.....Instead of black and red how about silver and red?

Quick Reply: What color should I paint My 91 GT?