General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brakes squeak when not applied.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 03:03 PM
DJ19895.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Brakes squeak when not applied.

I rescently did a complete brake job on my car about 500 miles ago. The back brakes have been converted from drum to disk brakes. The rear pads i bought were from a 93 cobra. I am not sure if the entire rear end was swapped or just the brakes. The rear brakes squeak when i am driving but the instant you hit the brakes or the e-brake the squeak stops. My auto teacher who knows alot about the foxbodies says a valve or a part from a valve or the master cylinder had to be removed for the disk brake swap and was probably not done and the brakes are always being applied a little thats why they squeak. The rotors are not glazed and where resurfaced correctly so it is not that squeaking. Does anyone know what i can do to fix the annoying squeak, its driving me crazy. Thanks!!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:53 PM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Brakes squeak when not applied.

I just had the exact same problem & I do have the same exact rear brake conversion. I found that I "killed" the squeal by lubing the steel "shims" the pad "sides" slide back on forth on with a light coat of grease & using the "anti-squeal" stuff available from all parts stores on the backside of both pads. I'm uncertain as too whether one or both "repairs' did the job or not; I just know that I enjoy driving the Mustang so much more now......

EDIT: DOHHHHH![] I didn't read the whole thread as i should have....

Look closely at your factory porportioning valve; the end with the large "bolt" on the end...... Does it have a rubber center "hole" in it or is it solid metal? If it has the rubber; the porportioning valve has not been gutted. The solid plug is available through FRPP & comes with directions on what you do & do not remove from inside the porportioning valve. The shop teacher (I believe)is wrong; the porportioning valve has no bearing on if there is pressure applied to the rear brakes when you are not applying the brake. The emergency brake itself has to be modified or it'll apply pressure to the rear brakes at all times. This is due to the self adjusting mechanism specifically for drum brakes. Without the self adjustment feature, as the shoes wear; eventually you'd pull up on the e-brake & it would no longer lock the rear drums.

Go here: http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/mustang/reardisc.html

Look the site over & click on the highlighted links. All the info & sources in one shot......