Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience installing the AEM “Brute Force” CAI…

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default My experience installing the AEM “Brute Force” CAI…

I decided to go with an AEM Brute Force Cold Air Induction...

When my AEM CAI arrived I was surprised to see it packaged so well. It came in a very large box, Everything was very well packed in plastic and foam peanuts. There was no mistaking what was in the box!

The only tools you will need are a screwdriver and a socket set or wrench set. (NOTE: AEM included a Torx Wrench to swap your MAF.) This is truly a “Do it yourself” level project!

One great feature is that AEM includes a throttle bore spacer tuned specifically to match with the CAI. And installing it was a total breeze. You just unbolt the four bolts holding the TB on, put the plate behind it, and put every thing back. Took about 7 minutes.

The package included a GREAT set of very detailed instructions what were “1-2-3 Step” including photos of each step. If you can’t read, the photos were clear enough to keep you on track!

The installation process was very easy; it took me about 2 hours – and that included stopping to take breaks when neighbors came by to see what I was doing to my car THIS time! <smile>. If you can change your own light bulbs, you can install this unit.

Actually, it was more work removing the factory items then it was installing the new AEM items.

The quality of the AEM Product is impressive, and my factory MAF fit into the new unit as if it were engineered to be there.

Once you have all the factory stuff out of the way you simply start dropping in the AEM product. Everything fit like a glove and I had no difficulties what so ever with any parts. The Filter is awesome, as it is their new DryFlow - “No-Oil”, High Capacity, Filter.. THAT should make life much easier, with not having to have that filter oil everywhere. It is also washable, so you will never have to replace it.

Now… Did it make any difference? Without a doubt! The VERY first thing you will notice is the sound. This thing creates a sound that you will quickly become addicted to. The only way to describe it is “Freaking AWESOME”. Every time you hit the throttle you will get this loud/low Tiger Growl coming out that screams “I HAVE HORSEPOWER!) It will make you want to hit the gas peddle every chance you get - JUST so you can hear it.

Did it improve performance? In a word – YES. You will notice an improvement in throttle response and Rev response immediately. There is a slight “seat of the pants” improvement in the G’s at launch.

Driving to work this morning I reset the computer, and even with me playing with it more, (to hear that growl) I still got 1 MPG more then normal. All this without changing the tune! (I am currently running on a shop tune developed for my shaker.) My Predator scan shows all parameters well inside limits of not throwing any codes.

The car definitely is breathing easier and able to gulp air faster.

And last of all… does it look good? - -- I think it looks great!

BEFORE…

AFTER

Some outside shots!

THANKS AEM, for making an awesome product that is truly modular and easy to install!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: My experience installing the AEM “Brute Force” CAI…

Nice job Mods should Sticky this in the Tech section....wait are we in the tech section??

Either way, looks good!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

I want to get a CAI for my stang one of these days!!! can't decide what one i want, but this AEM is look good!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:33 PM
SpeedRacer9220
1st Gear Member

Great wite up. I totally agree with you. I love my AEM Brute Force and was a snap to install. Works great with my canned 91 OCT Pedator tune as well. No codes thrown either!!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 PM
RW06stang
1st Gear Member

Looks very good man. Hmm...... how would that do with my Nitrous?

[IMG]local://upfiles/33407/742CD5055F7440C2BAC588F60B3CB503.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 PM
2nd II None
2nd Gear Member

Awesome job on the install! I've always wondered if the shaker hood would allow the use of a CAI. Now you have just answered my question.... Nice job once again.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:02 PM
zjdoran7
1st Gear Member

How much for the shaker hood + paint?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Thanks Prof! It looks much better now. I just had a pet peeve with that old intake pipe's red not matching the car's red! ;-)
I noticed it looks like you had a silver OEM air filter cover. Was that a slip-on cover or what?
The other question is what exactly does the Shaker intake do? It looks like the old style where it would draw air down into the carbs but that is clearly not the case anymore. Is it just allowing more air into the engine compartment? You might have answered this elsewhere but since I'm sure many folks will be viewing this thread...
Great job with the photos too!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:45 AM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

awesome! I have an AEM on my V6. very nice product. As for the N20 like someone asked, you just drill awhole in the intake about 6" from the throttle body and use the supplyed tap in the ZEX kit to tap the hole for the nozzle...simple as that. I did it to mine
Old 07-13-2006, 11:45 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Thank Gawd you finally got rid of that fugly red spray painted stock intake tube.

Quick Reply: My experience installing the AEM “Brute Force” CAI…