Notices
2.3L Eco-Boost Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the Eco-Boost variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

2015 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Not totally sticking up for it, but engine development has come a long way since 1974, considering there's a 1000cc I3 ecoboost putting out more power than the 2.8 V6 that you mention.

I do, however, stand by my opinion that a 2.0 ecoboost would be much better suited to a Miata/BRZ sized Ford with RWD.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:18 PM
A790

Look where the market is going. Every manufacturer is releasing smaller turbocharged engines. The technology has finally caught up to the needs.

Now we can have a 30+mpg car that still produces 300ish HP. My 2012 Optima SX is a good example of this done right. 274hp and I still get 35-40mpg on the highway and 23-26 around town... and my right foot can be heavy sometimes.

The 5L V8 is fantastic, but if you hand me the same car with a 3L 6cyl turbo that makes 50+ more hp... well, I'd take it.

Turbos are easy to tune and modify, keep more of their horsepower when altitude is a factor (I live in Calgary, AB which is 3,557ft above sea level, so it matters to me), and are pretty damn reliable at this point.

Adapt or die, folks. There's a reason that Saab, Pontiac, Saturn, Olds, and other brands are dead.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:17 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
As the old sayings go;

"you can't get something for nothing"

"you can't squeeze blood from a turnip"

"a pig with makeup is still a pig"

1974 Mustang Engine Options

2.3L – 2V – I-4 – 88HP
2.8L – 2V – V-6 – 105HP

BluebeastSRT, how did you know I wear women's underwear?
Well all the quotes that didn't make any sense above made you sound like a chick so it was a pretty safe assuption about the undergarment choice. On a side note. they didn't offer a V8 option in 74. I'm pretty sure we'll get several in 2015.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

For those that are mentally challenged and lack the ability to have reason and logic -

"you can't get something for nothing" : there is no substitute for cubic inches in engine power, it is a thermodynamic problem and less fuel = less energy

"you can't squeeze blood from a turnip" : add as much boost as you want, material science has not become so advance as to reliably support the boost levels required to squeeze out the HP they are advertising. If that engine still runs reliably in 5 years of use, it will be luck

"a pig with makeup is still a pig" : 300 HP from a turbo 4 are not the same as 300 HP from a V8 or V6 for that matter, it is called torque.

Fan boy it as progress, as what the public wants, etc.. I call it a gimmick, and gimmicks don't stand the test of time. They are good for a few bucks, otherwise we'd have SVOs running around everywhere.

I think you insulted more women than me, but hey... who am I to judge.. I'm just another a-hole with an opinion.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I am curious how well the 2.3L turbo 4 will hold up in years to come at that ~300hp power level. Some other manufacturers have come close and seem to be doing OK.

I disagree about the no substitute for cubes & that the 300hp turbo 4 isn't the same as a V6 regarding torque (but turbo 4 to V8...no contest). Many manufacturers such as Ford, Audi and BMW are switching to smaller forced induction engines that seem to be making very similar power numbers than the bigger naturally aspirated engines they are replacing or competing with (and also better fuel mileage). Usually those engines make their peak torque down low in the rpm range compared to their naturally aspirated predecessors or similar trim level vehicles, so that they don't seem to feel like they are lacking in torque.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:40 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hamidar05
For those that are mentally challenged and lack the ability to have reason and logic -

"you can't get something for nothing" : there is no substitute for cubic inches in engine power, it is a thermodynamic problem and less fuel = less energy

"you can't squeeze blood from a turnip" : add as much boost as you want, material science has not become so advance as to reliably support the boost levels required to squeeze out the HP they are advertising. If that engine still runs reliably in 5 years of use, it will be luck

"a pig with makeup is still a pig" : 300 HP from a turbo 4 are not the same as 300 HP from a V8 or V6 for that matter, it is called torque.

Fan boy it as progress, as what the public wants, etc.. I call it a gimmick, and gimmicks don't stand the test of time. They are good for a few bucks, otherwise we'd have SVOs running around everywhere.

I think you insulted more women than me, but hey... who am I to judge.. I'm just another a-hole with an opinion.
Look no farther than the mitsubishi Evo or the Subaru Sti. For reliable 2.0-2.4 ltr. 4 bangers making 300Hp. If the japanese can do it, why can't ford? 300 V8 Horsepower is exactly the same as 300HP produced by a 4 cylinder turbo motor.. Horsepower is just a measurement of work being done .And Most turbo motors make as much torque as horsepower. Check the Stats on the F150 Ecoboost for example. 365 Hp. and 420 ft. pds. of torque. That's more torque than a boss 302 makes. The boss also has a displacement of 302 cubes to the F150's 214 cubes. Or you can use the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 10 as another example. 295Hp and 311 Ft. pds of torque! That 2.0 liter engine is making basically the same HP & torque as your 5.0 but it gives up 3 liters of displacement! Big engines are nice but adding boost from a turbo doubles the efficiency of any motor. It was a good rant. I really liked the blood from a turnip and the pig with makeup analogies but there wasn't alot of facts in your post.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 04-23-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
I think a four banger would be fantastic! Perfect fun DD
I agree.

If I like the 2015 enough I may grab 2, the 5.0 and the 2.3L for my DD. I want a 50th, but I don't want to run the miles up on it.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
I agree.

If I like the 2015 enough I may grab 2, the 5.0 and the 2.3L for my DD. I want a 50th, but I don't want to run the miles up on it.
I completely agree. Sounds like a hella fine plan to me. Although I will be opting for the V8. I have a six banger now and its just NOT ENOUGH! Also, with the turbo already on the engine, I believe it may be hard to further upgrade the engine in any significant way. But hey, who knows? Can't wait for the 2015!

Haha.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

A tune would free up plenty of power, especially with 'eco' being part of that turbocharged 4's name. (Factory tune will be for economy).

I know how you feel about the 4.0 V6 though!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

A turbo Mustang would bring the aftermarket out of the woodwork with big turbo swap kits.

Quick Reply: 2015 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang?