Notices
2.3L Eco-Boost Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the Eco-Boost variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

2015 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
The Mustang name goes back to muscle car heritage.
The mustang was never considered a muscle car; therefore, it has no muscle car heritage.

I don't even like the fact that they make 6 cylinder Mustangs, but I guess I can be a bit of a Mustang snob, haha.
Without the six cylinder engine the mustang would not exist. The first mustangs came with an inline six, much like the original corvette did. Neither car was originally designed for a v8.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:05 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
The mustang was never considered a muscle car; therefore, it has no muscle car heritage.
That depends on your definition. Strictly speaking the Mustang started the category of Pony cars rather than muscle cars, but Mustangs have always had models that were much more "muscle car" than pony car. I say the Machs and the Bosses disagree with having no muscle car heritage, but yes, the base models had smaller engines in them. Regardless, even as a pony car rather than a muscle car, I still disagree with putting a 4 cylinder in.
Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Without the six cylinder engine the mustang would not exist. The first mustangs came with an inline six, much like the original corvette did. Neither car was originally designed for a v8.
How do you suppose you came up with that? The first models of the Mustang, the 64 1/2, came with an option for an I6 or two different V8s. V8s were always an option on Mustangs.

I do believe the 6 cylinder has always been an option on Mustangs as well which is why it's one thing for a Mustang to have a 6 cylinder, especially with how much they get out of them now, but a 4 cylinder? Make a new 4 cylinder sports car instead. The Mustang weighs too damn much for a good 4 cylinder sports car anyway. I'm sure they can get the power out of it to make it go, but it would be better suited in a lighter car.

Last edited by AJ06GT; 06-10-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

V8s were always an option on Mustangs.
Not in 1974 it wasnt.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

That depends on your definition. Strictly speaking the Mustang started the category of Pony cars rather than muscle cars, but Mustangs have always had models that were much more "muscle car" than pony car. I say the Machs and the Bosses disagree with having no muscle car heritage, but yes, the base models had smaller engines in them. Regardless, even as a pony car rather than a muscle car, I still disagree with putting a 4 cylinder in.

How do you suppose you came up with that? The first models of the Mustang, the 64 1/2, came with an option for an I6 or two different V8s. V8s were always an option on Mustangs.

I do believe the 6 cylinder has always been an option on Mustangs as well which is why it's one thing for a Mustang to have a 6 cylinder, especially with how much they get out of them now, but a 4 cylinder? Make a new 4 cylinder sports car instead. The Mustang weighs too damn much for a good 4 cylinder sports car anyway. I'm sure they can get the power out of it to make it go, but it would be better suited in a lighter car.
Amen to that
Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Face lift Fox cars only got the 5.0 or the 2.3. There was no 6 cylinder option.

I point back to page one where I said I laugh at all the elitism. The Mustang has always been available with something smaller. Whether a four cylinder (1974-1993) or a six cylinder (1964-1986/1995-) the base model has always outsold the performance model.

I just love how everyone gets uppity and completely forgets the actual history of the car.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
I just love how everyone gets uppity and completely forgets the actual history of the car.
Exactly
Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

Would Mustangs have been as popular if they did not offer a V8? Would they be as popular if there was not SCCA races with them winning? How about drag races, would they be as popular if they only came with 6 and 4 bangers?

Take the Camaro, the name died in 2002 and was not revived until a late model retro muscle car was built. If it came back as a turbo 4, would it have done as well? Yes they will have a turbo 4 in the Gen 6 redesign, but we'll see what sells.

You can deny it all you want and try to be as inclusive as you want, the heritage is muscle and V8. Tell us all it is evolution that a high tech turbo 4 is the way to go now, but it really is a function of luxury and gas prices. If synthetic gasoline was developed and it was only 50 cents a gallon, do you think everyone would want a fuel efficient 4 banger or a V8, maybe a little old lady from Pasadena...

It is not about being uppity, it is about really realizing history and circumstances that created it as a legend. How did Shelby do with the Daytona he signed off on? Don't get me wrong, it is great to be inclusive and have fuel efficient performance, but don't discount dinosaurs or their dinosaur cars. Some of us are not willing to go rice no matter how great people think it is.

Consider this advertisement verbiage form 2008;

Design and Equipment
Mustang epitomizes pure American muscle. The signature long hood and short rear deck capitalize on more than 40 years of Mustang heritage, as do classic design cues that have defined Mustangs since the 1960s: C-scoops in the sides, three-element taillamps, and a galloping horse badge in the center of the grille.

The Mustang�s menacing shark-like nose imparts an attitude not seen since the 1967 model, while jeweled, round headlamps in trapezoidal housings are part of its modern architecture. The car�s aggressive rake gives the design visual motion, while the short overhangs and up to 18-inch wheels and tires anchor the design visually and physically to the road.

Mustang continues to offer unique packages for 2008.

The Pony Package, available on the V-6 model, first launched in 2006. It features a GT-handling package that includes a larger front stabilizer bar, the addition of a rear stabilizer bar and P235/55ZR17 tires on painted cast-aluminum wheels. Also included are bright, machined rims and unique tri-bar Pony center caps. Further touches include fog lights, Pony front fender badges, lower door tape stripe, carpeted front floor mats with special brushed chrome �Mustang� logos and a rear spoiler."

http://www.themustangsource.com/time...5/08/index.htm
Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Rice is a term that is so misused now.

For young folks that don't remember the `70s and `80s it was a term to define Japanese imports. Not a 4 cylinder. Not a turbo.

For years Americans have bought cars that made sense. Having a gas guzzling V8 doesn't make sense for everyone. That is why the smaller engine has always outsold the larger engine.

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying the V8 option is pointless, or that it should go away, we are just stating that there IS a market for the smaller engines. That is what is confusing me, why some folks are so against the smaller engines, after all, it makes those of you that need the larger engine feel better when you can pass someone like me that is fine with the smaller engine tooling along.

Not everyone drives their Mustang fast, or thinks it is a hotrod.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
That is what is confusing me, why some folks are so against the smaller engines, after all, it makes those of you that need the larger engine feel better when you can pass someone like me that is fine with the smaller engine tooling along.

Not everyone drives their Mustang fast, or thinks it is a hotrod.
Its because those that say "v8 or nothing" need their egos stroked to make them feel good. much like the jocks in HS that picked on the smart kids.

Personally Im not impressed with my GT and choose to leave it in the garage in favor of my, dare I say, little 4 banger.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:19 AM
kdryan
2nd Gear Member

300 hp is 300 hp. I don't care if it's my daughter's hamster under the hood...

Quick Reply: 2015 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang?