Notices
2.3L Eco-Boost Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the Eco-Boost variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Any info or guesses on the combined fuel economy for the 2.3 Ecoboost engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 09:38 PM
omelet1978

Any idea when they are going to release the fuel economy figures? I'm still hoping for 26mpg combined for the 2.3 turbo.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:39 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Doesn't matter because they lie to you...
Add about 2 gallons on top of those so called estimated stats.
We just bought a new Fusion and they're off by that much with me trying to baby this thing like Granny would...
Old 08-13-2014, 08:08 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
We just bought a new Fusion and they're off by that much with me trying to baby this thing like Granny would...
sorry, no, they're not lying. The problem is that the EPA test procedures can't cover every possible use case.

as far as your Fusion goes, I'm sorry but people are known to believe they're better drivers than they actually are. My mom has a 2.0EB Fusion and handily beats the city/combined mpg on the sticker. You may think you're babying your car. Doesn't mean you are.

I drove a '14 Fusion Hybrid for a week. You know, the one which was originally rated for 47/47/47 mpg and had to be downgraded to 44/41/42 mpg. I averaged 51 mpg for that week. Why? because I drove it like it was a hybrid. People get in these things and expect they can keep driving like ******** (e.g. "stomp on the gas until I have to stomp on the brake") and then bitch because they don't get the mpg on the sticker. The simple fact is that boosted (turbo) or assisted (hybrid) powertrains are a lot more sensitive to driving style. If you drive normally, you'll get something resembling the sticker mpg. IF you drive like an ***, you won't. Unfortunately most people drive like asses. I've learned to identify the "Ecoboost whistle" and sure enough every time I hear it I turn around to see a Fusion or Escape.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:05 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Bull schit Son. I've been around cars too long.
And I know how to Baby it mmmmkay, easy slowing down/breaking and all...
When I did my test, I made sure to never let the engine go past 2000rpm in town (not really easy to do) and set the cruise at 65mph on the Interstate.
The car had only 400 miles so not fully broken in but I'll re-do the test for fun...
Furthermore, my 01 F150 and the Stang weren't getting the claims numbers in the stock condition around town (only on the hway).
There must be no traffic light in Detroit, lol.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:28 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

When I did my test, I made sure to never let the engine go past 2000rpm in town (not really easy to do) and set the cruise at 65mph on the Interstate.
The car had only 400 miles so not fully broken in but I'll re-do the test for fun...
Furthermore, my 01 F150 and the Stang weren't getting the claims numbers in the stock condition around town (only on the hway).
Pascal, no one lives in Detroit anymore... And you darn sure don't want to stop at a traffic light in Detroit anymore, would definitely explain the fuel economy. Gotta keep movin' Yikes!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:12 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

"I'm right because I'm older than you" doesn't hold water.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

I can consistently get 28-29 mpg at 65 mph in my 5.0 at 2050 RPMs if it's flat.

My 1995 blown cobra averaged 26.1 mpg cross country at 65 mph with 3.55 gears

So I wouldn't say all estimates are bull****. Have you tried skip shifting? That is what helps keep the average up. Although I usually just beat on her like she owes me money lol.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:40 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
"I'm right because I'm older than you" doesn't hold water.
Pascal is right on this one. Believe me, I know from experience that FoMoCo underrates the advertised EPA mileage on just about all (if not all) of their cars. The Fusion hybrid you are talking about will get 47MPG across the board; Ford cut back on that MPG to appease the lead-footed drivers so they can't cry "My hybrid don't get 47MPG!" when they drive like bats out of hell.

Ford has always underrated to account for the more critical customers. When they actually drive normally, and get higher MPG readings, they are put in their place with facts of higher fuel mileage sitting right in front of their faces.

I don't know if the SVT 4-banger S550 will be certified and rated at 26MPG, but I do not doubt that it will at the very least be released no less than that.
Remember that when you are driving off boost (when the turbos are turning slowly in this case), your engine burns a lot less fuel than when your turbos spool up for boost. Staying off the gas will save you a ton of fuel. Even if you stomp on the gas only once a day or a couple of times a day, you will not hurt your MPG and will still exceed the advertised MPG.
If you drive normally, you will always exceed the advertised MPG.
You have to be stomping on the gas often to drop below the advertised MPG; that's the way Ford rates their cars.

Case in point: I have the older 2011 GT 5.0 Coyote with 3.31:1 rear gears. This is rated only at 26MPG highway on stock factory tune. I observe well in excess of that 26MPG highway when I hit my freeways; oftentimes easily breaking 28MPG and also 30MPG.
I made this vid to demonstrate this very point to prove to some other folks that the Coyote is far from a gas hog.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:35 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Yeah Jim, I've read a few reviews about the H Fusion and no one gets 47mpg.
But it doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong anyhow because there is no way that any of us can drive like Granny all the time and in the same environment than the factory did the tests on these cars.

As far as Hwy mpg, there are less factors involved since you're trying to keep a constant speed without stopping etc... so it's easier to duplicate the OEM tests.
The 6th gear really helps keeping the rpm low (It's key on big engines) and that's why most cars come with 6spd nowadays, either it's equipped with auto or manual transmissions.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:55 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Yeah Jim, I've read a few reviews about the H Fusion and no one gets 47mpg.
But it doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong anyhow because there is no way that any of us can drive like Granny all the time and in the same environment than the factory did the tests on these cars.

As far as Hwy mpg, there are less factors involved since you're trying to keep a constant speed without stopping etc... so it's easier to duplicate the OEM tests.
The 6th gear really helps keeping the rpm low (It's key on big engines) and that's why most cars come with 6spd nowadays, either it's equipped with auto or manual transmissions.
Rereading back, I misunderstood what you originally wrote. When you said add 2 gallons on top of the EPA mileages, I though you meant add 2 MPG to those figures.
But what you are saying is the advertised MPGs are really much less.

Correcting my error and doing the dimensional analysis, I did some quick mental calculations and realize that when you add 2 gallons to the miles per gallon, what happens is the advertised MPG numbers are cut down to only a third.
So the Fusion hybrid which was originally advertised at 47 miles / 1 gallon, the arithmetic gives:
47 miles / (1 gallon + 2 gallon) = 47 mi / 3 gallons
which means you are only getting 15.667 MPG.

I hope this isn't the true case; I know hybrids can become just as much as a gas hog as a V6 when you stomp on the gas, but I hope that the advertised MPG isn't that much of a lie.

Quick Reply: Any info or guesses on the combined fuel economy for the 2.3 Ecoboost engine?