Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's
Old 10-23-2015, 05:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang GT Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

HOW TO: Install GT bumpers (w/Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 01:27 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default RE: GT Bumpers are on! Quick Instructions inside w/ pics!

ORIGINAL: muze one

Fantastic...I'm just about to pick up GT bumpers for my 4.0 windveil convertibel and these instructions are perfect.
Thanks for the guide and the do and don'ts!!!
My pleasure! I seem to ask more question than I can answer, so I try to give back to this wonderful community. Special thanks to my father for thinking about taking photos though!

ORIGINAL: screaminyellin6

DUDE - Those are Excellent directions and documentations. I am doing the same swap and will be sure to print out all the directions - Thanks a million!

btw - how did your exhaust line up to the rear bumper GT cutouts?
Thanks!

You brought up a good point. My exhaust lined up, but not perfectly. The left exhaust tip is too low. I have the muffler shop to thank for that, so I'm sure they have another visit on the way.

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Nice Job man!!!!!!! I'm impressed, this should help a lot of people.
Thanks! I sure hope so!

ORIGINAL: 05 Cayuse

Great tutorial! With your write up, and pics, it should save others a bunch of head scratching. It's efforts like this that make this forum so fun to cruise. Thanks!
Good thing you brought this up! I went down the ramp too quickly and the left lip caught the ramp. I now have this huge red gash on the bottom of the bumper that I'll have to purchase touch up paint for. [:@]

I'll revise my first post for that.. I do however recommend the use of some sort of jack/lift/ramp to install the radiator support on the bottom. No way to do that without getting her off the ground. Just be careful when you're getting her down.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:39 PM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

ORIGINAL: muze one

Fantastic...I'm just about to pick up GT bumpers for my 4.0 windveil convertibel and these instructions are perfect.
Thanks for the guide and the do and don'ts!!!
My pleasure! I seem to ask more question than I can answer, so I try to give back to this wonderful community. Special thanks to my father for thinking about taking photos though!

ORIGINAL: screaminyellin6

DUDE - Those are Excellent directions and documentations. I am doing the same swap and will be sure to print out all the directions - Thanks a million!

btw - how did your exhaust line up to the rear bumper GT cutouts?
Thanks!

You brought up a good point. My exhaust lined up, but not perfectly. The left exhaust tip is too low. I have the muffler shop to thank for that, so I'm sure they have another visit on the way.

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Nice Job man!!!!!!! I'm impressed, this should help a lot of people.
Thanks! I sure hope so!

ORIGINAL: 05 Cayuse

Great tutorial! With your write up, and pics, it should save others a bunch of head scratching. It's efforts like this that make this forum so fun to cruise. Thanks!
Good thing you brought this up! I went down the ramp too quickly and the left lip caught the ramp. I now have this huge red gash on the bottom of the bumper that I'll have to purchase touch up paint for. [:@]

I'll revise my first post for that.. I do however recommend the use of some sort of jack/lift/ramp to install the radiator support on the bottom. No way to do that without getting her off the ground. Just be careful when you're getting her down.
Yeah must have been hard getting that car up the ramp without scratching. My driveway has a little incline smaller than the ramps in your pic and I barely clear it by a 1 inch or so, because of the lowering kit. Nice job on the install.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:28 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Dad just emailed me with his thoughts on the tutorial. I'll edit appropriately:

- The tool is called front-faced wire clippers (as opposed to side-faced).

- The (5) screws are actually flanged nuts.

- The rivets didn't actually give to the drill, but the old bumper
melted away from the heat. The rivets were then accessible with the
magic wire clippers.

- There was a difference between the foam pieces: the GT was a tad
higher, raising or tightening the grill upwards.

- The radiator mount I think also has an air-scoop function to direct
air up to the radiator. Actually, I'm pretty sure it does.

- Another must-have tool is the stubby phillips screwdriver and the
L-screwdriver (that's the one I used on the rear bumper fender wells,
it's impossible to use any other tool).

- Thanks for crediting me, but not necessary. Don't forget to thanky
Franky for offering parts and lights!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 PM
cstigger04
2nd Gear Member

SPARTAN VI...Thank you sooooooooooooo much for this great Info and Pictures. Mine are going on in about two weeks, and I, like you, am doing it myself. This should save me so many head-aches and I greatly apreciate it.[sm=happy046.gif]
Old 04-05-2006, 11:46 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How To: Install GT bumpers. Pics included!

Here's a question for you: I'd like to put a V6 grill (sans pony) in my GT. Now I'm hearing that there are dimensional differences in the two grills. Are these differences on the actual outer profile perimeter of the two grills or only inside where they cannot be seen? If it's just on the inside I could fabricate to handle the small differences; but if a V6 only fits in a V6 bumper opening then that idea is out (ain't going with a V6 bumper). ...thanks, Jim
Old 04-06-2006, 12:38 AM
cstigger04
2nd Gear Member

Thanks SPARTAN IV after doing more looking through my filling cabinet I found where I printed it out from the first time you posted this...
Old 04-06-2006, 01:33 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Anyone want to sell their takeoff V6 grill cheap, let me know; need to experiment. ...Jim

P.S. I have a GT lower grill for ya if that's worth anything to you.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:43 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

haha $100 and a day at the shop is bad for you?!

places here would charge me like $500 and keep it for a week for something like that!

thanks for the pics, i plan to do this too
Old 04-06-2006, 04:13 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Anyone want to sell their takeoff V6 grill cheap, let me know; need to experiment. ...Jim

P.S. I have a GT lower grill for ya if that's worth anything to you.
Wish I could answer your question, but I can help you with your experiment.

I still have the spare V6 grille from the swap and was trying to figure out what to do with it. I'll need to find a big enough box for it first, or maybe I'll just wrap it up in bubble wrap and ship it out that way. Anyway, PM me your address and I'll see what I can do about shipping it out to you. I'll be making a couple of visits to the post office anyway as I have some PC components to ship out, so might as well. When I've shipped it out, all I ask is that you cover the cost of shipping and supplies(maybe $15-$20) and then another $5-$10 for my time. My paypal add

Thanks!

Last edited by SPARTAN VI; 12-13-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:42 AM
quagmire

Great job on the install! Now how about showing pictures of installing the fog light wires lol

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install GT bumpers (w/Pics)