Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's
Old 10-23-2015, 05:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang GT Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

HOW TO: Install GT bumpers (w/Pics)

Old 03-13-2006, 02:25 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default HOW TO: Install GT bumpers (w/Pics)

Well, I skipped the $100 bodyshop route as my mom volunteered my father's assistance. Wasn't all that hard, but it did take us about 4 hours to do it... running around and breaks included.. Stupid body shops swear it takes 10+ hours.

I had to order extra parts in order for the GT bumper to mount properly. Search the forums for these part numbers as I can't grab them from fordparts.com They included two fender liners, radiator shield, isolator (styrofoam), and screws.

Anyway, first thing we did is got my baby on a ramp.. little trouble as she kept pushing the left ramp. Father thinks my caliper is locking so the wheel just pushed it. After a good five minutes we got it on.

Front GT Bumper Installation:

Refer to this diagram to follow along: http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...t%20bumper.pdf

First, we had to take off the radiator shield (labelled (2) on the diagram), we used our front-faced wire clippers to grab the pins:

*****Make sure you have one of these handy.***** Hands down, one of the most important tools. Put every screw you use in a safe place. You'll probably end up using every one of them. As you'll see later, we used a wooden box in the shape of a swan!

***Another must-have tool is the stubby phillips screwdriver and the
L-screwdriver (that's the one I used on the rear bumper fender wells,
it's impossible to use any other tool).

**Edit** Screws you'll need: N801169S900 : 1 : PACK OF EIGHT SCREWS and W705992S441 : 1 : PACK OF FOUR INSERTS so that you can install 5R3Z-17626-BA : 1 : DEFLECTOR - STONE which connects to the underneath side of the bumper cover and to the radiator

- As you'll see later, we rolled her up on a ramp. This wasn't entirely necessary and had its downfalls when we finished. When we finished with the front bumper and rolled her off... the lip caught the ramp on the left (driver) side, leaving a huge red gash on the bottom of the bumper. Unnoticable to anyone, but it'll bother me knowing that it's there. I'd still recommend the use of some sort of lift/ramp/jack as you'll need the clearance to install the radiator mount. Impossible to install otherwise (but it seems that the radiator mount isn't entirely necessary).

- Unlike the GT, the V6 front fascia doesn't have any screws on the bottom holding it to the frame. The GT uses a radiator mount that... well, mounts to the bottom of the radiator. But everything else applies.

- Pop the two screws on the flanks of the radiator shield labelled (3) on the diagram, then the 4 or 5 along the fenders labelled (4).

- Getting to the flanged nuts, labelled (6), can be tricky. We found that by removing the fender lining we had easy access to those screws. The pins in the fender lining are easier to remove than I thought. Just twist in 1/4 of the way, and they pop up just enough for you to grab them out, I think there are 4 or 5 on each liner. Should take no more than 5 seconds each. I actually stripped one because I thought it was a scew, so we ended up breaking it into pieces to remove it...

- With the fender lining off, we can get back to the (6) flanged nuts. Here's where they are:

- Disconnect the signal lights afterward, just pinch the plastic tabs and pull. After this, it's probably a good idea to have another person help you remove the bumper. Here's my stang missing her face:

Note: My sister's sissy tC in the back.. pfft.

- Anyway, we'll need to recover the signal light modules.. this includes the plastic that they're mounted to as the GT bumper I have doesn't include it... but one thing stands in your way.. RIVETS! We found that these little guys can't stand up to the DRILL! Father commentary: The rivets didn't actually give to the drill, but the old bumper
melted away from the heat. The rivets were then accessible with the
magic wire clippers.

Rivets:

We actually forgot to recover the signal lights... so DON'T start mounting your GT bumper before taking them out... like we did: http://home.graffiti.net/spartanvi/gt13.jpg
GT bumper with no mounting plastic:

- When we mounted the lights on the GT bumper, we used simple nuts and bolts.

- Before you get the new bumpers on.. let's get that foam on. There was a difference between the foam pieces: the GT was a tad higher, raising or tightening the grille upwards.

- Get that GT bumper on! Reuse every screw from before, very simple. After that, we get to use the new fender liners, note the difference:

- Pretty straight forward. Reuse the metal clips on the fender liner, unless you bought extras. You'll have some trouble forcing those damned screws back into their holes. Pinch the tips with your teeth, pliers, or bend them inward with a screwdriver to make this easier.

- Next, the radiator shield!

- Refer to the diagram... it's not labelled, it actually serves as a reinforcement for the bumper's lip. The radiator mount I think also has an air-scoop function to direct
air up to the radiator. Actually, I'm pretty sure it does.

- The radiator shield requires 6 screws that go onto the lip of the bumper and another 3 retainers that attach to the radiator mount. I haven't had a chance to get mine on as I need the 3 retainers first.

You're done with the front bumper! Here's "Epona" with her new face lift!

Wiring harness and such.. I haven't done yet.

I'll get to the rear bumper tomorrow!

Rear GT Bumper Installation:

The rear bumper is pretty straight forward. Only problems we encountered was recovering the wire harness for the lights. We actually snapped part of the harness while we were drilling out the 6 rivets, and duct taped it back together... Came out great, after a few minutes of muscling it in.

Here's the diagram for that. http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...r%20bumper.pdf

- Remove the trunk trim to reveal 4 or so nuts.

- Remove these 4 nuts (5).

- Remove the 4 screws labelled (3) on the fender liners.

- Take the V6 bumper off and recover the wire assembly and harness within the stock bumper. Be gentle, don't want to break the plastic harness like we did.

- You'll notice about 6 rivets here, same method as before. We took a drill to them to melt the plastic away then replaced the rivets with nuts and bolts.

- Mount everything onto the GT bumper.. nuts and bolts.

- Get the wiring (7) through the designated hole in the trunk trim before you start screwing things in. Might need a second person to help you muscle it in, but most of all, keep it even!

- Put the screws back on along with the bolts, then the trunk lining and you're finished!

***Special thanks to my dad for helping me with both the installation and taking pictures of the process***

- Not one visit to Home Depot was made. [8D]

**Edited on May 14th 2:07AM
Old 03-13-2006, 02:30 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: GT Bumpers are on! Quick Instructions inside w/ pics!

Great write-up and pics!! Looking good!

I've heard of trunk monkies... but never a trunk swan!

Now, go out and smoke that sissy car next door! [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 03-13-2006, 04:49 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Thanks!

That tC nextdoor is actually my sister's, we parked it over there to get it out of the way.

I should actually thank her for buying it.. I was certain that I was going to buy one until she did, then the Mustangs hit the street.

Anyway, here's another picture of the complete front fascia:

The rear bumper is pretty straight forward. Only problems we encountered was recovering the wire harness for the lights. We actually snapped part of the harness while we were drilling out the 6 rivets, and duct taped it back together... Came out great, after a few minutes of muscling it in.

Here's the diagram for that. http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...r%20bumper.pdf

- Remove the trunk trim to reveal 4 or so nuts.

- Remove these 4 nuts (5).

- Remove the 4 screws labelled (3) on the fender liners.

- Take the V6 bumper off and recover the wire assembly and harness within the stock bumper. Be gentle, don't want to break the plastic harness like we did.

- You'll notice about 6 rivets here, same method as before. We took a drill to them to melt the plastic away then replaced the rivets with nuts and bolts.

- Mount everything onto the GT bumper.. nuts and bolts.

- Get the wiring (7) through the designated hole in the trunk trim before you start screwing things in. Might have need a second person to help you muscle it in.

**Important** thing to remember is before you mount the bumper is to slide the wire (labelled (7)) through the appropriate holes, then mount the bumper. We forgot... so our wires were hanging out the bottom of the bumper. 10-15 minutes later, we use a coat hanger to pull the wire back up through the inside of the trunk... Save yourself the hassle and learn from our mistake!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:59 AM
muze one

Fantastic...I'm just about to pick up GT bumpers for my 4.0 windveil convertibel and these instructions are perfect.
Thanks for the guide and the do and don'ts!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:14 AM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

nice info!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:58 AM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

DUDE - Those are Excellent directions and documentations. I am doing the same swap and will be sure to print out all the directions - Thanks a million!

btw - how did your exhaust line up to the rear bumper GT cutouts?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:17 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Nice Job man!!!!!!! I'm impressed, this should help a lot of people.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:16 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Great tutorial! With your write up, and pics, it should save others a bunch of head scratching. It's efforts like this that make this forum so fun to cruise. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Moonbaby1973
2nd Gear Member

Great How to Spartan IV. I have one quick question. I notice you have the car up on ramps. Were you able to pull the car on and off of the ramps without draging the bumpers? My stock V6 bumpers look too low to clear ramps to me, i would assume that the GT bumpers sit a little lower. Did they drag?
Old 03-13-2006, 01:15 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

good job man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install GT bumpers (w/Pics)