Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Pony Package & GT Grill

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:51 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

Default Pony Package & GT Grill

Hey everyone,

I've read a ton of posts saying that the Pony Package wiring harness will not work with the GT fogs. I installed the GT front fascia this past weekend, replacing my Pony Package, and I can tell you that the Pony Package wiring harness DOES work with the GT fogs. I took a few pics today to show you what I did. It's actually very very easy. If you have a curious mind, you would figure this one out too.

This is the back of the Pony Package fog light. The wire you see is directly attached to the pony grill. There is a plug that attaches to this wire where I circled. In order to remove the grill/bumper, you need to unplug the wire at this site.

The plug that is not attached to the grill is sort of an orange-like color. This plug is the exact plug that plugs into the back of the GT fog light. Here you can see it plugged into my GT fog light.

Here are two pics to show that the PP wiring harness works...one with the fogs and parking lights on, one with the fogs and headlights on. Hope this helps anyone looking to do this mod in the future!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:56 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Pony Package & GT Grill

Brian,

Great thread and write-up about your experience. It should be quite helpful to those thinking of doing the same modification.

Bill Jr.
28hopup
Old 10-14-2006, 06:34 AM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! I guess it's an "addendum" to Spartan's "HOW TO" thread
Old 10-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Ok so basically it is plug and play right? The plug that you took off of the fogs, the otherside of that wire plugs into the fogs right?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:55 AM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

Yup!

You'll see that there is a wire that is "bolted" onto the grill. Leave that one right where it is. Unplug the orange-ish plug from that wire. That orange-ish plug will snap right into place on the GT fogs. Plug and play!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:39 PM
JimStang

Hi all.

I just bought a used 2005 Mustang v6 (redfire) and am now doing some tweaks to make it my own...

One addition I'd like to do is to put the GT grill and fog lights on. Some places list that the standard Ford GT grill and fog lights will not fit on the v6 with the standard v6 front fascia. Is this true?

I'd rather not change the whole front end when I'd be happy with just a new GT grill with the fog lights. I don't like the smaller lights in the pony grill and I haven't found a 3rd party grill and fog light combo that I like.

I assume I'd have to get a wiring harness and new light switch as well (although I've seen custom harnesses that just have a separate on off switch for the fog lights). Any thoughts on what harness to get?

Old 10-16-2006, 02:06 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

I can't really help you with the wiring harness, as I used the same one that was already installed. I can tell you that the GT grill will not fit in the V6 bumper. The GT grill is about 1/4" larger all the way around, or 1/2" taller and wider, than the V6 grill.

On FordParts.com the GT grill goes for $80, the fog light housing goes for $80 each, the bulbs are $13 each, the running pony medallion for the grill goes for $26, the GT bumper cover (unpainted) goes for $350, it will be roughly $350 to have it painted, and you still have to get the wiring harness/switch (bank on $100+). So if you completely do it yourself, you're looking at over $1000 for the switch.

My suggestion would be to look into getting GT take-offs (that's what I did) and maybe go through your dealership to get the GT fog light wiring harness/switch. That will be significantly cheaper, probably closer to the $500 range, maybe even less. My bumper cover, GT grill with fogs and pony medallion, shipped from Diversified Marketing, cost me $398. If you go this route, you will have to get new wheel wells (just the front half), and those go for about $22 for the pair on the FordParts website, and a new isolator which is around $50.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

Street Scene has a couple of grill shells that will fit the factory V6 bumper, both for GT style lights. One has them in the factory GT position, one is a center mount. They also make a custom harness with switch.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:10 PM
JimStang

ORIGINAL: Dean Martin

Street Scene has a couple of grill shells that will fit the factory V6 bumper, both for GT style lights. One has them in the factory GT position, one is a center mount. They also make a custom harness with switch.
Do you have a link to a good site with pics of them? The Street Scene grills that I've seen are all the center mounted version and Google search didn't come up with any good hits with images to see what they might be like.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

Try http://www.streetsceneeq.com/product_list.asp?mi=5

I think member Olmstead may have one for sale??

Quick Reply: Pony Package & GT Grill