Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

HOW TO: Leather Seat Install

Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Dineau
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HOW TO: Leather Seat Install

Mine are finally completed, very nice mod and I'm very happy with the result. I have one thing that I have noticed from going through the documentation provided on the Ford PDF files. It says that we need to reset the OCS device after replacing a set cover or seperating the barckrest from the seat cover, which we all did to do this mod. Anyone this thi reset ?

See the extract from the 501-10-01 document:

CAUTION: It is necessary to carry out the occupant classification sensor (OCS)
system reset when a front passenger seat backrest is separated from the seat cushion,
the seat cushion is disassembled, a new trim cover is installed or an OCS service kit is installed.

A scan tool is used to trigger active command to carry out the OCS system reset.

CAUTION: Make sure the seat is completely assembled before carrying out the
OCS system reset.

CAUTION: The following precautions must be taken before carrying out the OCS system reset.

- Make sure the OCS system components are connected and no faults are present.

- Make sure the OCS system is not at a temperature below 0°C (32°F) or above 45°C (113°F) when initiating the OCS system reset process. If the vehicle has
been exposed to extreme cold or hot temperatures, the vehicle must be exposed and kept at a temperature within the limits, 0°C to 45°C (32°F to 113°F) for a minimum of 30 minutes.

- Make sure nothing is present on the passenger seat before carrying out the OCS system reset and nothing is placed on the seat during the process.

- Make sure a minimum 8-second time period has passed after cycling the ignition switch ON before the OCS system reset process.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 AM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

I am glad you got them installed and are happy with the results. Before I did my seats, and the write-up, I talked to a Ford Technician about this. He told me to diconnect the power from the battery and wait about five minutes, and it deactivates the OCS, and once the battery is reconnected, the OCS will be fine and need to be reset. This is because the OCS will not have a record of it being disconnected. That is why I included the disconnection of the battery as the first step in my write-up. To ensure that I was not passing bum scoop, I had my OCS tested by the same technician and everything was fine. I made doublely sure on this information, because I take my Beagles for rides, and one of them sits in the front seat, and if the airbag did not shut off because the OCS was not set-up properly, the air bag would not de-activate. This would cause it to fire if there was an accident, and the risk of him getting hurt would be greater.

I hope this answers your question.

Mark
Old 03-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Dineau
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I guess you had all angles covered !!!!

I'm OK than, since my battery was disconeceted for at least...... let me think........ at good 3 months ! Yeap it's in hibernation.

Thanks again !
Old 03-29-2007, 01:34 AM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

Cool, glad I was able to set your mind at ease. Enjoy the leather seats!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:00 AM
RYD PNY

Awesome write up
Old 05-02-2007, 11:10 PM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

Thanks RYD PNY. It has been about 6 months now in the harsh Socal desert and they still look good. One of the best mods I have done.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:04 PM
PaceStang
2nd Gear Member

Dumb question but what size hog rings to get?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:22 PM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

Not a problem. The size of the hog rings are as follows: The back is about 3/4" in length and the tines are about 1/2" long. You can buy them online for a very reasonable price here:

http://www.leatherseats.com/section.asp?sid=15

Let me know if you need any more info. Good Luck,

Mark
Old 09-22-2007, 10:49 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for this great "how to" article! I just bought a brand new 07 GT and on the second day of ownership I found a small razor cut in the leather on the passenger seat bottom. I called the dealer and they wanted me to bring it in (65 miles away) and they would inspect it and determine if they would repair or replace it and then they would schedule a time to bring it back to get done. Well, it's a brand new car and I didn't want a "repair" so instead of two trips and a bunch of BS I ordered a new "take off" from New Car Take Off and they only charged me $45.00 for it. It came in 2 days, was a perfect match and I installed it this morning with the help of your post. It only 1-1/2 hours and it looks FANTASTIC. It fits and looks just like it should.

This is a relatively easy job and on a scale of 1-10 I would rate it a 4-5 but that is in part because your post shortened the learning curve.

Thanks again!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 02:03 PM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

Cavediver - I am glad I was able to help you out. That sucks that you had to do this on a NEW car. Since doing this write-up, I have done more of these installs than I like. (I am a sucker when it comes to helping peaople out). Enjoy your new seats.

Mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: Leather Seat Install