Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Help with BaltimoreStreetMods SuperStripe

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:02 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Default Help with BaltimoreStreetMods SuperStripe

Hi,

Does anyone out there have any experience fitting the 18" superstripe from baltimorestreetmods.com??

http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i...products_id=13

Mine was being fitted today but my body shop ran into a few issues with the hood piece and fitting it around the factory scoop.

I'm a little stressed trying to work out where the fault lies, i.e. with the bodyshop, with the cut of the stripe or with Ford for badly fitting my hood scoop..... so if anyone has any advice or prior experience it would be much appreciated.

I've included a few pictures to help illustrate my issue:

I don't really know how to describe the problem so putting it as basic as I can it seems like there is to much material, you just can not get the stripe to line up correctly on both sides without material massing in the middle, I don't know if it needs to be heat shrunk or what and I've been trying to get a hold of Rob from BSM's but I'm guessing he's taking a break for the holiday.

As it stands I have like a 3 1/4 striped Mustang Which looks a little funny! Guess I could just put a CF hood on and call it quits.....

Anyone got any thoughts??
Old 11-26-2008, 07:28 PM
TedGamble
1st Gear Member

My installer loosened the 4 nuts underneath the hood, raised the scoop and slid the edges of the superstipe under it. He then set the stripe with a low-power heat gun, then tightened the scoop back down. Mine looks superb. The superstripe is a very finicky piece. It took him over an hour to get it right. After you finish, DO NOT touch it until the next day.

Last edited by TedGamble; 11-26-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:58 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

That looks so hot! I really hope I can get mine sorted!!!

Few questions - assuming you watched it be installed:

1. Was the gap in the hood piece initially bigger than the scoop, i.e. did it shrink as it was bring installed or was it smaller than the scoop flush fitting perfectly?

2. What it the gap size between the center stripes and the pin stripes? 1/2 inch 3 / 1/4, etc?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:23 PM
TedGamble
1st Gear Member

assuming you watched it be installed
Oh yeah, no doubt. The guys were mobile - they came to my house and did the job. I told them that I only had two expectations: 1. The end result had to be perfect and 2. There could be no flaws. They both sort of grinned for a second or two, but then they realized that I was giving them my "ice look", so they knew I meant business.

1. Was the gap in the hood piece initially bigger than the scoop, i.e. did it shrink as it was bring installed or was it smaller than the scoop flush fitting perfectly?
I didn't see the exact difference, but it appeared that the hole that was cut for the scoop was about 1/8" too small. I'm guessing this was intentional so that there is no hood showing between the scoop and the superstripe.

2. What it the gap size between the center stripes and the pin stripes? 1/2 inch 3 / 1/4, etc?
The pin stripes are 1" wide, so I had them use a 1" gap for symmetry.

Last edited by TedGamble; 11-26-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Well, when I installed the Superstripe, the pre-cut version for the scoop was not yet available. So, my scoop is mounted over the stripe, which of course we all know has become problematic due to bunching of the stripes....However, in looking at your pics, specifically the last one, the stripe is almost flush to the windshield washer nozzle hole on the left, but there is a lot of room towards the one to the right.....I would measure the material width of the stripe next to the scoop, and see it it's consistant....

Good luck, the SS Superstripe is a pain on the hood. This was the first time I had done stripes....and probably the last....

Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Rob from BSM got back to me he said he's seen it a few times where the factory hood wasn't quite centered and wasn't quite the right size for his template.... is it possible that Ford has more than one factory scoop and its the luck of the draw for what you get?? Or am I reading my sticker wrong and its actually a dealer installed piece rather than factory piece?

Either way he's going to sort me out with a new solid stripe piece that my body shop will have to cut around the scoop so as to avoid the bunching issue....

Hopefully problem solved....