Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

HOOD QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Default HOOD QUESTION

Does anyone know of a company that makes a steel cowl induction hood for our cars?
My car is in the body shop right now being repaired due to the Bambi post I have on here.

The bodyshop man said he had installed a steel cowl hood 2 months ago and will have one in his shop on Monday for me to look at it to decide if I want to have it installed or the Cervini Hood, Costs $200 more but that is'nt the issue,
I just havent heard of any companies making them for our S197's
Old 11-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Cuzzo
2nd Gear Member

I don't know of any personally but why not let me make a custom hood for you? PM me if interested
Old 11-27-2008, 01:46 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Tormentor if you're looking for quality stuff, go with Cuzzo. I don't think there are any metal hoods for these cars at all except for the Foose one that CDC sells, but I could be wrong. That one is aluminum too.

And Cuzzo if you can do full hoods, you're the &@#!ing MAN. You need to do this whether or not Tormentor wants one or not.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

This is the link to the company he refered to for the steel hood, shows a picture of red Mustang but it isn't the cowl induction that I'm looking for.

http://www.reflexxion.com/rfx/content/section/5/27/

I guess I will have to wait until Monday to see what he comes up with.

No offense Cuzzo but I don't think I can wait for a hood to be built being that the car is in the body shop right now and I hope I don't have to be without the car for more than two weeks.
Also I work for Ford Motor Company and know what goes into stamping out the outer and inner skins and then having them assembled. It is very time consuming making the dies for it and then having to prove everything out with die try out to come up with a final product that is worthy to be installed on the vehicles.
Ford does this on a daily basis when we stamp out and assemble all the hoods for the Taurus, Sable, Freestyle, Taurus X, Expedition, Mountaineer, Explorer and the new Bad *** Lincoln MKS.
Believe me when I say it is time consuming. Not that I doubt you can do it I'm just speaking as an employee in the stamping and assembly business that it is a very long and hard process to get an end product that is free of defects not just in workmanship but also with the beginning process in which is the blank sheet of steel...
Cheers for now
Old 11-27-2008, 12:05 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

I think he would probably go the fiberglass route, not steel.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Cuzzo
2nd Gear Member

I agree 100% with you Tormentor on everything you said, but I wasn't talking about making a hood to for mass production. I meant to imply that I could take a stock aluminum hood and work it by adding glass (although you did say you wanted aluminum), to suit a custom design and style you liked for your S197. And I totally get you when you say you want your baby back in 2 weeks, definetly not something I could do over night.

Just for the record, I also worked for Ford Motor Company R&D center on Oakwood Blvd in Dearborn back in 04. I've experienced the whole process from packing a clay armature, to running it through the 5 axis mils, and applying Dinoc and foil to the finished concept model.

And thanks Suoperdave for the compliment amigo! I'm gonna have to make you something for good old Bucephalus Laterz
Old 11-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Isn't it amazing how you can watch a blank piece of steel being formed into a finished panel, I get amazed with it every time we stamp out anything.
Thanks for the offer to have something made for me but as you said I cant wait to get my baby back as soon as possible. I hate looking at the rental F150 taking its spot in my garage.

I might have to look you up next time I want something fabricated....
Rich