Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Hi, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 PM
melissajean0

Smile Hi, need advice

I'm looking to do some mods on my 06 Mustang. I just got it and want to soup it up. Anyone have any ideas? I mean obviously you can see it's not had anything done to it that sets it apart from any other mustang out there. I just want to make it my "own".

Thank you

Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 PM
BrianMac

There's a million things that can be done. I'd go to AmericanMuscle.com and look around at exterior and engine mods and get an idea of what direction you want to go. P.S. I don't work for them or anything, just know they have good stuff and take care of their customers.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Changing out your bumpers and skirts are the quickest way to dramatically change its look. With my 05 V6, I couldn't stand the passive look of the front bumper, the matte black plastic skirts, or the single exhaust. The matte black skirts give the appearance that the car's stance is higher than it really is, so painted skirts and matching bumpers were a must. On my black stang, the skirts weren't so obvious, but for every other color it's draws too much attention.

The first thing I did was bolt-on a dual cat-back exhaust system, followed closely by throwing on GT take-off bumpers. But that was 2005, there are a lot more options available now. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with GT-CS bumpers.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:22 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Yeah American Muscle is a great place to start. They have a ton of customer pics and their customer service is awesome for the most part. Some of the standard things are a cold air intake and tuner combo for some added horse power, or an aftermarket exhaust for sound and a little hp gain.

Exterior wise, if you're wanting to start by making it look different, different wheels are a good way to go. A good place for those is Craigslist, just don't get screwed over. Bumper swaps, front and rear are common, especially on the V6s.

Really the only limit is what you can spend and the amount of time you want to put into the car.
And congrats on the new car. I'm sure you'll love it. They are great cars.

Haha, Spartan replied with half the stuff I said while I was writing mine out.

Last edited by Tanner05; 01-28-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:44 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

The sky is the limit when modding your Mustang. Just sit down and think of what you would like to change or add to it and then look it up since it most likely already been done. Beleave it nor not, my Mustang was once an 06 GT, and if you look at the pictures of it now you can see just how far you can go.....
Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by melissajean0
I'm looking to do some mods on my 06 Mustang. I just got it and want to soup it up. Anyone have any ideas? I mean obviously you can see it's not had anything done to it that sets it apart from any other mustang out there. I just want to make it my "own".

Thank you

I'm a big fan of lowering springs as one of the first mods. I'm running these and they work great (and look good)

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-05.html
Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Are you looking to do performance mods or visual mods or both? What's your budget look like? Have you looked and researched what mods others on the forum have done? 99% of what CAN be done HAS been done here.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM
melissajean0

Originally Posted by Nuke
Are you looking to do performance mods or visual mods or both? What's your budget look like? Have you looked and researched what mods others on the forum have done? 99% of what CAN be done HAS been done here.
I want to do visual mods right now. I don't have a set budget, but I want to be able to do them myself. I want to start out small, because this is the first vehicle I'll have ever tried to mod myself.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

wheels..
no original stang wheels cut the mustard imho
Old 01-29-2014, 02:38 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by melissajean0
I want to do visual mods right now. I don't have a set budget, but I want to be able to do them myself. I want to start out small, because this is the first vehicle I'll have ever tried to mod myself.
Since this is your first attempt at modding then I admire that you want to start out small. I assume you also don't have much experience turning wrenches or have a lot of tools like ramps, torque wrenches, etc. Just know that once you start there is no turning back - modding is addictive and expensive in time and money. But there is no better addiction! My recommendation is to start with something like a deck lid panel. There's lots of choices ranging in price from $40+. It will teach you about prepping your car, doesn't require any special tools and will help you to not be afraid of making a mistake. Depending on the panel, you may have to remove your faux gas cap which will also give you an idea of how to remove certain parts and how to replace them if necessary.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/0509-decklid-panels.html

Good luck and happy modding!

By the way, there are going to be times when you'll have trouble deciding on which mod or style - don't hesitate posting a question to the folks on this forum. Granted you'll get a ton of opinions and some sarcasm but it's all part of the fun of being a member of a car forum.

Last edited by RedFire281; 01-29-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Hi, need advice