2005-2009 S197 Appearance SectionFor all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's
Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
Removal and installation of steering wheel for S197
Removal and installation of steering wheel for S197.
Tools needed: Socket wrench
Very small flat head screw driver
1. Disconnect the battery (ground) and wait 5 to 10mins to insure the power has drained out of the system. If you want you can also pull the airbag fuse from the SJB found on the passenger side kick panel fuse #17 which is a 10 amp fuse.
2. Pull off the two plastic caps on the sides of the wheel to access the two bolts that hold the airbag
2. Unscrew bolts with 8mm socket
3. Pull off the airbag assy and disconnect the two electrical connectors. Just pinch the side of the connector and pull up.
4. Disconnect the cruise control electrical connector, you will see a tab at the top of the connector, use a small flat head screw driver to lift up the tab and pull out on the connector to remove.
5. Use a 24mm socket to remove the main steering wheel bolt. (no wheel puller is needed.)
6. Remove wheel.
7. Reinstall new wheel in reverse order making sure to torque the retaining bolt down to 41 foot pounds and its set.
The whole thing took about 20 minutes.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members. Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware
corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford
Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor