Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's
Old 10-23-2015, 12:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

How to- swap out your map lights (for LED's) *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:12 AM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmartin8732
Just a quick note for all of you that have your lights staying dimly lit. Because an LED uses sooo little energy, when you turn your lights off, the remaining energy in the cars wiring system is enough to keep them lit(barely). On the other hand, when using a traditional bulb, the energy left in the wiring system is NOT enough to light the bulb at all. Many people have put LED's in their license plate housings and have had the same problem. An easy fix is a resistor. they are litterally, $2. Or, because they use so little energy, don't worry about it. Hope this can clarify anyone's worries. These bulbs do look great! Nice write up too, OP!!
That is a good note, thanks for point it out!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

I'm new here and this is the first thing I have done to my mustang and it looks sick. I read this post grabbed a screwdriver and ran to autozone. They only had filament bulbs so I bought a blue/teal pair and put them in in the parking lot with my phone light. And after matching the my color it looks just as good as the LED pics and was only 3 dollars.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I purchased a blue pair of dome lights from Advanced Auto for $3 and I could barely see anything! I decided to search for bright LED lights and came across a website called iJDMtoy.com and purchased a set of ultra blue LED bulbs for my dome light. The LED bulbs are a lot brighter and look great! I paid $12.99 + shipping for the set. They also sell red and white!

[url]http://store.ijdmtoy.com

Last edited by kevinmalec; 07-18-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Beefierspade

Default RED

Here's a pic for red LED's, kinda bad example cause it wasn't completely dark but here it is.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:09 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Here's my 5k from V-LED's. They are the 194 flank bulbs, where it's flat and has 4 bright LED's shining straight down. Got them on Black Friday for $15 free shipping

To give you an idea how bright they are.. I took before pics of the stock lights and had to use a 15 second long shutter for the right exposure. The above picture was taken with a 2 second shutter. *smirk* I'm telling you, they are BRIGHT! They kind of have a green tint in the picture, but they are pure white in person.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Ponyboy405

I loved your step by step guide! Pushed me over the edge of deciding to buy the lights for my mustang. Although my mustang is Torch Red, i'll be grabbing the red LED's instead! Thanks again for the awesome guide, with pictures!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:40 PM
hdatontodo

Thread from another section:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s...ang-coupe.html
Old 01-07-2012, 08:34 PM
srtraub

Default LEDs stay on all the time...

So i just added these lights exactly as described..awesome mod, but they never go off...i read about them dimming to like 1% and them going off entirely after about 20 minutes..mine do neither, they just stay on..
I've read in this thread to just add a resistor and then they will behave like the stock bulbs...so which resistor and how do i install that?

thanks!!
Scott
2008 GT/CS
Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 PM
srtraub

OK sorry for the confusion..got them working normally..lol
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Kimberly.Breens

Hey Guys,

Im new to this forum, and this was the one reason why I joined was to figure out how to change the map lights.. great write up! thanks for the tips! btw, these LED lights you can order online for much cheaper then buying them in the store-thats what i found anyways.

Quick Reply: How to- swap out your map lights (for LED's) *pics*