Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Mud-Flaps...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:20 AM
GT Jeff
2nd Gear Member

Default Mud-Flaps...

Who here stills runs 'em? I HATE the way they look on my car and everyone says it's real 'red neck', but they DO keep my tire shine from going all over the car and I'm sure they've stopped plenty of rocks/gravel while driving...

What do you guys think? My Eibach pro-kit and 20x8.5/10" rims come next week and I think the front flaps may even scrap, anyways...

Jeff
Old 05-01-2009, 06:33 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I've got the GT500 guards on the rear of mine (modified to fit). They probably don't protect the rear bumper from everything but I'm sure they help out some. They were just alittle less than $10 a piece at ford.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:06 AM
JEY

05 Mustang, I believe they call your "splash guards"
Old 05-01-2009, 08:18 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JEY
05 Mustang, I believe they call your "splash guards"
well, technically on the packaging they are called "shields" (listed as mudflap asy on the invoice)

part numbers:
(1) 7R3Z-16A550-AA
(1) 7R3Z-16A550-AB
Old 05-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

If you need them, you need them. Who cares what others say.

I live in an area where I have to drive down a back ally. Well, that back ally is an old dirt road with pot holes. Every fall, winter, and spring those f*ckin' pot holes fill up with mud and the mud gets flung all over my car. So in my case they serve a functional purpose to keep my car looking clean. If they do the same for you, then I'd keep them on
Old 05-02-2009, 10:30 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

I used to have the Ford ones on the rear, and they generally kept the car clean back there. I switched to slightly smaller generic ones that don't stick out as much. Still keeps the body clean, but not as obvious. I put them on the front as well to keep the sideskirts cleaner.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
I've got the GT500 guards on the rear of mine (modified to fit). They probably don't protect the rear bumper from everything but I'm sure they help out some. They were just alittle less than $10 a piece at ford.

Do you have a write up on how these need to be modified? I live on a dirt road so mud and dirt is a daily problem.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

How many of you guys actually drive down dirt/gravel roads? I havent taken my stang to our lake house before because there is about a 2 mile stretch of gravel road and alot of dirt. Im more worried about the dust working its way into the car and paint chips. Do you guys have problems with that? Id love to take my car to the lake because the two roads i take to get there other then the dirt one are wide long roads with little traffic
Old 05-06-2009, 06:19 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stealth
Do you have a write up on how these need to be modified? I live on a dirt road so mud and dirt is a daily problem.

this is how I mounted mine (rear only)...

I just used the (2) screws in the wheel wells that are already holding the bumper on the car.

I unscrewed the top one completely and the bottom one about half way. I installed the top of the "mud flap" first (not tightening the screw all of the way). Then I swung the mud flap over until the the line that separates the smooth part of the mud flap and the rough part was even with the outer part of the bumper. Using the head of the screw, I made a mark on the mud flap. Then with a small drill bit, I made a hole where the mark was. After that you can install the bottom part (not tightening all the way).

Moving back to the top, you'll notice that by swinging the botton inward, the top part moved outward. Unscrew the top again and notch out a small section of the existing top hole (I used a razor blade) that will allow you to push the top of the mud flap inward, allowing you to line up the line that separates the smooth part of the mud flap and the rough part with the outer part of he bumper.

Once you've got it all lined up to your liking, just tighten the screws and you're done.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I still use mine. I've gotta say they look so much better with the wide rims/tires than they did with the stockers. Especially now with really wide and sticky tires I'm glad I have them. THe nittos pick up everything and fling rocks at the splash guards.

My only gripe is they took a small spot of paint off the fenders where they touch.