Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door panel leather is coming off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:41 PM
justin96gt
2nd Gear Member

upholstery shop conveniently located in your garage .. then u know it will be done right
Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Ron R.

Originally Posted by mxg30
ONF1R,

MTAS is correct in that the panel is not what it seems. I had the exact same problem and fixed it myself and you can do the same. It is very easy, but is a several step process and you must take your time.

There was a post on this last year, but suprisingly no one commented. Nevertheless you can re use your own factoy material if it is not damaged.
According to your location your not too far from me, so if you want to do it yourself pm me and maybe we can meet and I'll walk you through it and show you mine.

If you go to an upolsterer or dealer they will not be able to seperate the the inner panel from the outter because it is one piece. Thats why the dealer wants so much because you would be paying for the complete inner door panel, The material that is peeling is just that... material that can only be glued on.

Another option that may be cool and unique is to paint the inner part of the panel.
MXG30, can you walk me (and others) through how you fixed yours please. My wife drives a 2005 convertible (with 12,068 miles on it) and the passenger's side leatherette is hanging off. Took the vert to the dealer here in Houston and the cost to replace the entire panel is $800........$741 for the piece and the rest for labor.......what a deal! They checked the driver's side and say it's bubbling already, so I need to get both sides fixed.

What's the best glue to use on this fix and I'm guessing the panel has to be taken off and laid flat.

I called Ford's customer care and put in a claim. I felt like the call was a waste of my time. If the dealership isn't willing to work with me then I'm on my own.

This leatherette piece' workmanship was crappy at best.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:00 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem with my driver side panel. I also live in South Florida. Took it to the dealer 2 weeks ago and they said an upholstery shop they use would do the work. Got a call back about 2 hours later from the service advisor saying the shop indicated they would not be able to do the job properly. Got the entire panel replaced under warranty (expires in 20 days on my 06). Haven't had a problem on the passenger door but I am sure it will happen again after a while.

btw - the cost for the part + labor if I had to pay it was $875.

Next time - I wold go directly to the upholstery shop and work with them - I am sure they could do the job - just did the right thing by me.

Good luck.

Also - Ford will be no help - I have had the hood corrosion problem 2 times in the last year and they just fix it at the body shop but not according to the TSB. It seems to be the dealers call per Ford Customer "care" and for some reason they insist on repair instead of replace the hood.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Ron R.

I'm picking my 2005 vert from the the dealership this afternoon and taking it to a local upholstery shop. The fix is $125 per door. Much more reasonable than the $800 per door quoted. I'll get both of them fixed.

Ford Motor Customer Care is useless and can kiss my you know what......twice and say thank you for putting up with them. The $1,600 dollars they weren't willing to honor for crappy, substandard workmanship will come back to them in lots of negative pr as I am already telling my story to all my family, friends and business associates.

My dream car used to be a Shelby. Now it's a '63 Vette. Ford ain't getting any of my hard-earned bucks anymore.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

UPDATE>>>>>>>>

Okay guys, i took it upon myself to repair it and was very impressed on the finished product since i know how mechanically inclined i am NOT!...I documented the whole thing for all you MFers and just finished posting it all up...my suggestion is before you go and pay a nice bill on getting someone else to fix this for you, if you fix it the way i did and will show you, it will only cost you about $15!...

go here and check it out:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...ml#post6407300
Old 06-21-2012, 10:00 PM
pmach1jeff

Stang thang custom mustangs on facebook has an excellent repair kit that makes door panel look better than new.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pmach1jeff
Stang thang custom mustangs on facebook has an excellent repair kit that makes door panel look better than new.
Are you affiliated with or own Stang Thang?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
Are you affiliated with or own Stang Thang?
He must be, he only has 2 posts of MF altogether and they are both on my door panel threads advertising that product...gtfo
Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 AM
pmach1jeff

Default stang thang custom mustangs

For your info ONF1R I do own that site. I am surprised that you would respond the my post the way you did. After all you were the one asking for suggestions on the door panel problem that we all have . I own 4 Stangs 05-09. I was lucky enough to meet the folks at Predator Motorsports while visiting SEMA last year and they offered me the chance to try out their products. I am thrilled that I get a chance to try them first before everyone else. I also get the opportunity investigate improvements being as have the first units. Response has been overwhelmingly positive. If you don't want any answers to your post then don't post in the first place, that makes you look like a moron.So in response to your last post concerning me, GFY.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:58 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Lmao...there is already a fix for this which has been posted up for some time now...I know this because I'm the one who wrote it...

On the topic of owning the site and promoting a product of yours, there is a vendor forum...I suggest you get with the MF admins to become a vendor so u can be authorized to promote your business...

So a message from myself who has 3000 posts to yourself who has 3 posts, GTFO...

Quick Reply: Door panel leather is coming off!!!