Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Ektoh-One

just did this with 3M 08090 spray. im not sure if its gonna hold but if not then this is the next way im going to go. how bad was the smell or does it even smell of glue at all after this in the interior after the fix??
Old 07-15-2012, 09:45 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

When I did it there was a glue smell for a few days but cleared out from driving with the windows down...
Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Belle Isle Stang

Default Sagging Door Panels

I have an '06 GT that I bought brand new and currently only have 17,403 miles on it. I have always garaged this car and seldom drive it in the rain, so it's in immaculate condition. A few months ago I started noticing the door panels bubbling and I had heard that every Mustang in Florida and the Southern States will do that. It eventually fell all the way down last week, so I HAD to get it repaired. After calling several upholstery shops in Orlando and received quotes for $200.00 to repair both sides, I talked to a friend of mine who had some interior work done by a guy in South Orlando. I called him and he told me to bring it it that he had done 3 that week. He said I could wait for it and it would only take 30 minutes. They scrapped off all of the old disintegrated foam that was causing the problem and re-attached the existing vinyl to the tune of $60.00 for both doors! I am more than pleased with the results. It looks perfect! Don't let anyone con you into replacing the door panels or charging more than $100.00 for both doors. It can be done much cheaper than that and it truly looks perfect. I wouldn't accept anything less.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:14 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

I went to an upholstery shop and had it replaced with something else never liked the stock fabric it always looked cheap to me. Guy charged me $200
Old 08-30-2012, 05:11 PM
red251

Default Question/Update

Did you use the flat-head screwdriver to force the vinyl into the groove/door panel? How is your work holding up? Thanks!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I ripped mine off and brushed the foam the panel. It's not perfect but you hardly notice anything wrong with the car if you didn't know. Eventually I'll be attending an auto body/ upholstery program and then I'll work on doing my own custom interior.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by red251
Did you use the flat-head screwdriver to force the vinyl into the groove/door panel? How is your work holding up? Thanks!
When I finished pulling the vinyl the ready of the way off down to the armrest, I noticed that the edge of the vinyl pretty much maintained the curved shape on its edge...all I did then was finish rubbing off the rest of the disintegrated foam and apply a couple good layers on the carpeting especially at the curved edge areas and also on the back on the vinyl...taking your time and focus on getting the cement in the curved areas so it has the best chance at bonding appropriately...remember not to press the vinyl back onto the door until allowing the cement to dry and become tacky on both surfaces then start rubbing it back together starting at the bottom and working your way up....make sure it sits back down into the edges correctly
Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by red251
Just used my hands and fingertips on that part
Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

I am glad this post came back up. I just noticed a bubble on my driver's door this week and wondered what to do about it. Thanks OP.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:43 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I already went through mine as well, but I'd like to find 2010 and up door panels.
The bent-up top edge by the quarter on the newer car isn't big enough of an issue to be a deal breaker in such a swap...
Besides, a heat gun can change that perspective.
It's just that those new panels are hard to find.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**