Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:43 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Nice work Deception. I have to soon attend to the LOWER portions of the vinyl as they've come loose (from their original mountings, not from where I fixed any of it!) and mind you, when it comes to such things, I have CDO.... which is similar to OCD but the letters are in the CORRECT ALPHABETICAL ORDER. ;-)

Meanwhile, yes... that stuff will gas off for a week or two depending on conditions so unless you like toluene hangovers... let her air out.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:26 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Seeing this thread make me glad I got the cheap GT without the Shaker. My door panels are all plastic so no vinyl to sag
Old 10-31-2015, 06:27 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Seeing this thread make me glad I got the cheap GT without the Shaker. My door panels are all plastic so no vinyl to sag
Now that's an interesting observation. I would say that ... if it were price that were a part of it... I have a V-6 "Premium".... but it does have shaker subwoofers in the doors. I certainly could see that being a contributing factor. So... I would LOVE to hear it if anyone involved in this thread does NOT have subwoofers!

Could prove very interesting if none do!
Old 10-31-2015, 06:48 AM
Decepticon
1st Gear Member

I have a 10" sub in the trunk...

The door panel leather is still holding after the fix... still a very strong contact cement smell in the car though. I suppose that will go away with time.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:00 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

It takes a while for the volatiles in the adhesive to fully gas off. If you can, leave the windows open... or at least cracked a little bit.

An air freshener helps too. :-)

As to subs... I was thinking more along the lines of the shaker subs that are in the doors as that's immediately in propinquity with the vinyl panel and vibration transfer would be quite strong in that area.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:41 PM
wdmuir

Default Door Panel Vinyl Sag "fix"

As expected my 2008 Door panel "leather" began to sag today. Not completely, but it is pulling away from the top "groove" of the panel. I have read several posts regarding spray adhesive and bonding cement "fixes" with varying results. I tried an alternative fix today that was easy, quick, and inexpensive. We will see how long it lasts so stay tuned. I bought 25 feet of black "screen spline" size .120 from my local Home Depot for $3.78. Using a putty knife, I worked the "slpline" into the groove to hold the "leather" in place similar to the principle of the "spline" holding the screen in place on a window screen. It is barely noticeable as it matches the black "panel leather" and is hidden in the groove. I'll post again with the results and pictures if I can figure out how to attach them. Good luck and give it a try before going the spray adhesive or bonding cement route.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:28 PM
teesatt

Originally Posted by Boneman
It takes a while for the volatiles in the adhesive to fully gas off. If you can, leave the windows open... or at least cracked a little bit.

An air freshener helps too. :-)

As to subs... I was thinking more along the lines of the shaker subs that are in the doors as that's immediately in propinquity with the vinyl panel and vibration transfer would be quite strong in that area.
Word of the day brought to you by Boneman:
Propinquity
Ah propinquity, a word meaning "proximity or physical closeness." Your propinquity to someone in a conversation will affect whether you can smell his breath or not.

Reference: Vocabulary.com.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:30 PM
bfunke

wdmuir - that will work but eventually the concave area above the armrest will separate and appears bubbled out. I stick by my recommendations above.

teesatt - Shakespeare aficionado or Monkeys ) Mike Nesmith fan?

Last edited by bfunke; 08-16-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:23 AM
teesatt

I just like it when people use big words in the right context. I do like the Monkeys though.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
I remember reading this thread when it first was posted, lol.
Here I am again! And not because I was bored.

Noticed mine was starting to come out of the seam the other day, in fact on her 10 year to date birthday!

My factors, Hmm, 10 years. Only 68k. Mostly garage kept, always dark window tint. Only driven in 2 winters. Chicago-land weather, its gets hot, but not Florida or Texas hot.

Im going with poor idea on Fords part for the design.

Since it only just started on the one door and only a few inches along the top, I am going to wait until Spring. I don't think I will see to many more days over 65 degrees to do it in before I put it away for the winter.

See this thread in May!

PS I might just paint some staples black, toss em in my trusty Swingline and go to town!
Well. I totally forgot about this as it was holding up, last year I kinda tucked the one spot that was coming out and it lasted up until yesterday ) 1 year) when nearly all of it above the armrest came falling down, lol.

So 11 years 73k miles, this is needed. Looks like it will hit 65 and sunny on Sunday, this is a MUST do now before winter storage.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**