Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

mine is holding up as well as the day it was redone...

the sections on both of my door panels are great, no bubbling or seperation of its bond at all....

on the day that i did it, it was about 80 degrees outside with a moderate breeze and i had the car parked under a tree....

if i had to offer any quick tips on this for you guys, they would be:

***when u rub the desintigrated padding off, do the best u can possibly do so those fibers beneath can be exposed and allow the cement to bond well....

***your first initial cement layers on both the back on the leather and on the door panel section need to be nice and heavy/thick....

***after applying your layers of cement, u MUST allow anough time for it to dry and become tacky....you can tell by touching it - it should want to stick to your dry finger tip but NOT leave a wet-like residue on your finger...can take anywhere from 15-30 mintues amybe more depending on the humidity and/or air circulation...

good luck to those getting ready to do this and post all questions up if u have any....
Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Well I'm holding off this week due to cold temps here in florida, it's not above 65 which the can says you need for it to work properly and to cure.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:10 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Great info! I'll have to bookmark this just in case.
One thing though, I'm pretty sure the piece in the door is not leather but a material made to look like leather. More like Pleather.....plastic-leather.
The only leather in our cars is the part of the seat we sit in. The rest is made of Pleather.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

ya you are right...

its much easier to refer to it as leather in order for everyone to understand what we are talking about....

the material being glued back is pleather which is a man-made fabric made to resemble leather at a cheaper cost....

if i had to guess how they got the word, i would say plastic-leather = pleather LOL!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 PM
bigblue15
1st Gear Member

very nice man, thanks alot...ill have to remember this for when mine starts to sag, i just noticed a bubble in the leather on my passenger door so this will be nice for if it starts to get worse
Old 01-06-2010, 01:09 AM
05fastblk
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the info, both of my doors are sagging like old b00bies lol. I will do this once it gets a little warmer. And as someone stated earlier the Texas and florida heat seems to take a toll on these doors pretty bad.

Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

I just did this, here is my 2 cents.

The major problem I had was as the weather was too cold here in florida so I had to wait 2 weeks, meanwhile the leather pulled off the bottom seam along the arm rest. Do not allow this to happen!!

You can't get that bottom seam back in the way it came from the factory. In hindsight I probably would not put CC on the bottom edge if the leather was completely pulled away from the edge. You can't slide in the bottom edge back into the crease with CC on it. I tried a putty knife with limited success. Now the top edge has too much material since you can't get the bottom edge in. It looks alright, much better than hanging off.

Once yours starts to pull off from the door, tackle it, don't let it get worse, will only make it much harder imho.

I would go wild with the tape, tape up everything, the whole arm rest, under the arm rest etc. I only used the small brush, no need for the big one. I used a brush to get the old glue off, very easy to do..

Lets see if she holds, but overall I"m very happy, it's much better than hanging off.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 PM
axe2grind

Thumbs up Thank you so much!

I traded in my 05 V6 on a Ford Certified Pre-Owned 05 GT. 2 days later the panel started falling off in the Florida heat and when I contacted the dealership they said that the panel was not covered under the warranty.

I bitched and moaned that it should not have passed the CPO 169-point inspection but I was wasting my breath.

Anyway, this seems like a great fix and I'm going to do it tomorrow.

Thank you thank you thank you!
Old 05-09-2010, 02:27 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by axe2grind
I traded in my 05 V6 on a Ford Certified Pre-Owned 05 GT. 2 days later the panel started falling off in the Florida heat and when I contacted the dealership they said that the panel was not covered under the warranty.

I bitched and moaned that it should not have passed the CPO 169-point inspection but I was wasting my breath.

Anyway, this seems like a great fix and I'm going to do it tomorrow.

Thank you thank you thank you!
good luck....yes its a simple fix if done correctly.....take your time.....post up some pics.....
Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I had never heard of this separation problem before. My car is garage kept, but will keep it in mind if it ever happens to me. No wonder I come here everyday...live and learn.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**