Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
pmach1jeff

check out stang thang custom mustangs on facebook. They have a great door panel repair kit from Predator Motorsports that makes door look better than new.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Hi, does anyone know if just the perforated vinyl can be purchased (and where) separately so I can switch from a boring black-on-black to a grey-on-black two-tone contrast this like this interior? THANKS!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Go to your local upholstery supplier store.
They'll have the material or even something better looking.
You'll need half a yard for this, which would run you less tan $20.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:39 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Go to your local upholstery supplier store.
They'll have the material or even something better looking.
You'll need half a yard for this, which would run you less tan $20.
Awesome idea, thanks a lot. Perhaps they'll even be able to order a nice accent color for me to match the red 4-point harness I'm getting eventually
Old 06-26-2012, 09:43 PM
tomcat8692

okay two questions, how did you get the leather up into the edges so good? and where did you get that carbon fiber that goes over the power window buttons?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 AM
CaptainComet

Regarding the edges ... I made sure to go very easy with the contact cement there. That fiberboard backing is very thirsty, and lots of it is good for the main field of the panel ... at the edges, you will get squeeze-out if applied as heavy.

I would do one coat on the fiber, at the time you do the last coat (I will do three on the rest of it, and one coat only on the vinyl).

I used a plastic putty knife to push the vinyl into the space, working from one end to the other.

I did my driver panel some time ago. Looks like it if finally time to buckle down and do the passenger side.

The driver side has held up really well. I am so thankful for all the help everyone has been in this thread. I took so much of the learning curve out of this mess and I only had to do it ONCE!.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 AM
CaptainComet

Here ... check out post #71 for my original reply and follow-up tips.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ing-fix-8.html

I may not need to deal with it right at the armrest on this side, but note, I jammed that in there dry with the putty knife and then glued at where they intersected, with the fabric already in there.

I has been since last August ... 10 months .... and still looks like I just did it.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:07 AM
apvikes28

Unfortunately mine is already starting to pull away again. I am hopeful it was not an application problem. AKA ME! lol. However I will say that for some of those about to do this you may want to take some more time in cleaning off the backside of the leather while it is pulled away from the door. Mine had a ton of dried of residue on there. I took a rag and scrubbed off as much as I could dry. However a cleaner or solvent seems necessary as now I probably glued into dirt and instability hence the pulling away now. I will probably just do something custom now at this point, don't think it would hold up to a pulling away and gluing for a third time.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Erin Cross

Definitely going to try this to fix it. I live in MO and mine has been garaged.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by MAXIMUS-GT
Awesome idea, thanks a lot. Perhaps they'll even be able to order a nice accent color for me to match the red 4-point harness I'm getting eventually
They do indeed.
I bought a Yard of "Carbon Fiber" vinyl for when my door panel will sag...
I'll just replace the crap with better stuff.
I already did a custom seat for my bike with that material.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**