Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:43 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Actually, if you think about it... the stuff first DRIES.... that initial 10 minutes.... what that really means is that it OUTGASES. So I would imagine if you cut your initial drying time... it's not shed enough volatiles and after you slap the pieces together... it will continue to outgas. The vinyl actually is not a perfect vapor barrier so yeah, eventually the bubbles will work their way out via vapor transmission through the material. As long as the material is not stretched to the point it's malformed, it should not be an issue.

As it were, I'm sure all of us that did this fix noticed our cars smelled like contact cement for quite a few days after the repair.... that's the residual vapors working their way out of the adhesive, through the vinyl and into the air inside the cabin.

Hell, some of us may have even depended on that....
Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Exactly. I'm just glad it was such a big container because now I can't drive without huffing first
Old 07-23-2013, 09:48 PM
JohnTN
1st Gear Member

I repaired the passenger side panel in my 2006 GT in July 2011. This spring the driver side panel came loose and the the upper left corner of the passenger panel began to sag again.

Repaired the driver's side today letting the glue set about 30 minutes between coats and putting the panel into place. Applied two coats to the exposed areas of the passenger side and put it back in place, again letting the glue cure 30 minutes.

Hope these repairs last.

My car spends most of its time in the garage and very seldom sits in hot sun with top down. It does get hot and humid in the garage though here in Tennessee.

John
Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 AM
mfergel
2nd Gear Member

Mine's looking worse and worse every day. I really need to find some time to tear it down and redo it.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Otter

Originally Posted by JohnTN
I repaired the passenger side panel in my 2006 GT in July 2011. This spring the driver side panel came loose and the the upper left corner of the passenger panel began to sag again.
Exact opposite of me, just finished the passenger side after doing the driver's side 2 yrs ago. Hadn't noticed any sagging on the passenger side until I got in it Tuesday of this week and it was completely down to the armrest. Driver's side is holding up fine after 2 yrs. No garage, car has sat in the sun,wind,rain and snow over these past 150k miles.

Have referred to this forum since 2007 for minor repair stuff (dreaded plug replacement pains,etc), finally decided to join. Lot of good stuff here, thanks to all that take the time to post their pain and victories.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Nice DYI write-up. I will be doing the same repair on our 2005 vert.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Toad
1st Gear Member

I have a question. I have already, over the years, applied several coats of 3M upholstery glue to the carpet and vinyl. My panels are now drooping for the 4th time. I bought the car in Puerto Rico in 2006 brand new, then kept it in Hawaii, and now it's in Texas. Not exactly your cool weather states. My question is, does anyone know how I can remove the 3M glue that is already there? I've tried 3M's adhesive remover, and it kinda works, but not great. The adhesive is soaked into the carpet (or what is also known as Ozite) and even with several applications there is still residue. I've been to several upholstery shops here in the Dallas Area and they won't touch it. They already know the stories.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Looks like you're going to have to get the leather trim cut out, that carpet sanded down to the plastic, then have new material with or without padded backing glued on...either that or new door panels...

Last edited by 0NF1R; 08-06-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM
houtxgt950107

Just did this to my 07 gt. The drivers side was a wreck the pleather had came off pretty much all the way around and it doesn't look all that great after i finished. The passenger side only the part above the armrest had came unglued so that was much easier. I hope it holds in this heat and humidity of Houston.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:46 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Been a while since I've done mine... I would say about a year and it's held up just fine in the stupid heat and humidity that is SW Flawda. I think that prep is key here.... that the surfaces to be joined must be VERY clean. I know that I ensured that I had removed every last scrap of the "foam" before I continued on with the adhesive.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**