Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by carsong
My gosh! Thank you so much for this fix. I have been going crazy trying different ways to fix my door panels. Your explanation and the photos are fantastic! I can't wait to get this project started. I also live in Florida. This happen my brother's Mustang, as well. He took it to an auto interior guy, and had his fixed. It sounds like they did exactly the same thing that you explain. I just couldn't see spending that kind of money. For what, $11.00 and a little time? I can do this. Thanks again for the great tutorial. the photos are really a great help, too.
That's what it's here for, gl!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:03 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Where do you shop because my cement was $9 and the masking tape was $6.

Anyways, I went to try this method but it didn't work for me. My leather is totally off the car basically except for part of the bottom strip and I can't find a way to tuck it back behind the armrest. Looks like I'm gonna have to take the whole freakin panel off just to fix mine. Seriously thinking of taking it somewhere to avoid the hassle.

EDIT: Just got my door panel off only to figure out that you can't take the armrest off. Talk about pissed off. Everything is glued shut and there aren't screws but rather melted plastic studs holding the armrest on. No way feasible for me to tuck my leather back in without breaking some stuff. WTF FORD.

Even went as far as to take out the sub in the panel to see if I could get behind it to some screws but guess what, more plastic studs melted in place that have to be broken to remove anything and make it impossible to repair.

Ended up trying this method anyways and my leather just doesn't want to stick to the carpet backing. With a lot of work I was able to fit the leather back behind the armrest but it still won't stick.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 04-09-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I tried it on my daughters 09.....1 worked fair, 1 didn't. Ended up at a local upholsterer for $75 on each door. My 08 vert needs it now and it is just going to the shop. He does a nice job.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

I went back like an hour later and did another dose of glue. I guess the carpet backing is just soaking it all up and it's not sticking, I dunno. I got most of it to stick but not all of it. I have a feeling I will be taking it to a local shop to get done right.

edit: managed to get it to stick down last night but I left it overnight and this morning it wasn't stuck to the backing at all.

Drove down to my local upholstery shop and he quoted me $100 a door to wrap it in suede. He said he can use the vinyl if I really want but it's just gonna shrink again and come off whereas he can make the suede hold up better. I am just going to let him do his thing with the suede rather than keep fighting this trying to use the vinyl.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 04-10-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:48 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Potato quality on first pic, sorry, taken with my phone.

Name:  ozlFwZC.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  CKv6rFu.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  168.8 KB

$200 and done with it. Also, one thing I noticed that the guy who worked on my panels told me is that it won't be right unless you use an expanding adhesive. I noticed when I used the contact cement that when I pressed down the vinyl it had a wavy appearance to it. The carpet backing is NOT flat and if you don't use the right kind of adhesive it will never look smooth.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:19 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Well, not for nothing... but mine is still adhered perfectly and flat as the day I did it. And that's survived two SW FL summers.....
Old 05-07-2014, 03:51 PM
HMF016@msn.com

I went to go get an appraisal on my door panel and it's going to cost me 250 dollars for both doors. Plus the guy that checked out my door panel pealed the vinyl off and made it ten times worse. So my question is as long you follow the instructions it will work? Also how long has it lasted? Has it started bubbling or pealing off over the few years?
I just don't have the money to hand out to someone if I can do it myself.
Thanks
Old 05-08-2014, 05:23 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Mine came out just fine. Follow the instructions to the letter.... and yes, going in to my THIRD absurdly hot summer in SW FL and no worries.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Otter

Originally Posted by Boneman
Mine came out just fine. Follow the instructions to the letter.... and yes, going in to my THIRD absurdly hot summer in SW FL and no worries.
Yeah that^

Follow the instructions to the letter. Make sure you rub off all the yellow backing from the door panel, apply glue to door and material, let dry for approximately 20 minutes, then re-apply. Put matting back in position, I used a 1 inch roller from wife's sewing kit to smooth/press the leather. Tucked the leather in along the edges with a flat-head screwdriver.

Did drivers side panel 4 years ago, passenger side last year..No issues at all.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HMF016@msn.com
I went to go get an appraisal on my door panel and it's going to cost me 250 dollars for both doors. Plus the guy that checked out my door panel pealed the vinyl off and made it ten times worse. So my question is as long you follow the instructions it will work? Also how long has it lasted? Has it started bubbling or pealing off over the few years?
I just don't have the money to hand out to someone if I can do it myself.
Thanks

That's ridiculous. I have this DIY on both doors of both cars and it looks as good as new while costing about as much as lunch. Like everyone else said, just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**