Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

For HID Experts....

Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 AM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Default For HID Experts....

I've been told it's illegal to have HID kits in your car, why?

It seems like people have been buying HIDs from retrosolutions. After they installed their kits into their car, I do not remember one person who said he/she got a ticket from a cop after driving for couple months. I have heard that some of them got flashed because either they angled it too high or did not coated their bulbs.

I would like to HID's in my car, but would I get a ticket? I live in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona....

I'm thinking about getting H13 55W Digital Bixenon coated and H10 55W Digital Xenon HID kits for my car.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 11:19 AM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

They're illegal because they are not DOT approved. You probably won't get pulled over, but it is possible.

Ames
Old 10-21-2009, 11:47 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

unless its over 10k i doubt youll ever get pulled over...
Old 10-21-2009, 12:11 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Get them, just don't get anything over 6000K. Over 6K the light color is very blue to purple in color and thats when a cop is bound to pull you over. 6K and below looks more like all the other cars now a days that have factory installed HIDs.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Ive got a question too, what is the diffrence between the dual beam and single beam kits? Does that mean if I buy a single beam kit that I will lose the ability to use my high beams? Just curious because I might be doing this mod soon as well
Old 10-21-2009, 12:46 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ReaperGT
Ive got a question too, what is the diffrence between the dual beam and single beam kits? Does that mean if I buy a single beam kit that I will lose the ability to use my high beams? Just curious because I might be doing this mod soon as well

Yes, that is what it means, "no high beams"
Old 10-21-2009, 12:50 PM
DamnItzHenry
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ReaperGT
The H13 bulbs have both high and low beam in them unlike most cars which have a bulb for low beam and a bulb for high beam. Do not quote me on this but, I believe that all H13 HID bulbs that are not BI-XENON will have the HID for low beam and a halogen bulb for high beam.
The bi-xenon bulb is one bulb, but when you use high beam, it'll angle the bulb up so you can use high beam and still have HID quality. This is why you hear people with bi-xenon bulbs saying that when they use High beam, their light shines down. You have to adjust it to make sure the alignment is pointed up
Old 10-21-2009, 03:22 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

Halogen bulbs have dual filaments, one for standard and the other for high. HID bulbs do not have filaments, they work on the same principle as fluorescent lights. Therefore, there is no way to increase the bulb's light output. High beam HID's work by moving either the bulb or the deflector which "moves" the light pattern a little higher, giving the appearance of high beams and allowing you to see further down the road.

If you do not get a bi-xenon aftermarket HID system, you will lose your high beams as there is only one bulb in the housing.

If you get an aftermarket bi-xenon system, the bulb itself will move. I believe in oem applications the deflector moves, redirecting the light pattern.

Ames

Last edited by d_ames117; 10-21-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:58 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Thank you guys!

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Get them, just don't get anything over 6000K. Over 6K the light color is very blue to purple in color and thats when a cop is bound to pull you over. 6K and below looks more like all the other cars now a days that have factory installed HIDs.
I agree, that is what I've been trying to tell my father. Do you recommend HID kits from retro solutions?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:16 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

I would say most people would recommend retro solutions. From past posts their service is excellent and they sell a quality product. Also, since you have an 07 you do not have the bulb shield. If you go with reto, they will coat the tip of the bulb to prevent glare, but you have to ask for it.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...n-hid-kit.html <--Review post

https://mustangforums.com/forum/vend...solutions.html <--MustangForums.com pricing

No I don't own a set, but I've been toying with the idea for some time now.

Ames

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For HID Experts....