Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Powder coating vs. painting wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Default Powder coating vs. painting wheels

Okay. I called the local powder coating guru. He wants 200.00 to powder coat my stock 18" Bullets. I said - and leave the rim aluminum.

That brought him to a grinding halt.

After much hmmm and hahhmmming, he wants an extra 100 bucks to mask off the edge. He explained the tape for powder coating is different, its stiff, doesn't want to bend, yadda yadda yadda.

BUT if I'll PREP them first, he'll knock that 100.00 off.

The entire reason I was going to have them powder coated was so I didn't have to prep them, but if IIII am going to have to prep them or pay an extra 100.00, I can have them painted for free at my brother's paint shop.

That being said: Does paint last as long as powder coat on wheels?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If done correctly it will outlast paint. The reason is that it's blown onto the rim as a fine mist that adheres to the surface from the electrostatic charge of the process. This film is then baked at a high temp and bonds to the surface of the metal. Powder coating is more resistant to chipping, flaking, and abrassive chemicals.

Prepping is the most important part of the process as is how well they control their process (moisture in the powder, dispersion pattern, etc)
Old 11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Powder coating done right will last longer but it's not easy to touch up in case of rash, scratches etc...
Damn if you do, damn if you don't I guess...

BTW, what needs to be taped on those wheels?
Will the coating be done with the tires and stems on? If so, not a good idea.

Also, the tape has to be resistant since you'll have to bake the rims.
Regular masking tape won't give you a nice edge anyway.
It's best to un-tape before the baking process but you'll have to be quick because you have a short window between spraying the powder coat and baking it.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

He explained its not your ordinary masking tape because its bake-able, hence why its not as easy to work with and yeahhhh, we'd be breaking the tires off the rims. What would be coated is the spokes, the inner rim, and center - leaving just the outer edge aluminum. My husband's argument for powder coating is that one of the wheels has rash on it from the wreck it was in, and the pcoating would fill that in, BUT the rash is on the edge I want left silver.... sooooo I think I may just be replacing that wheel. Its just a PITA sometimes to find a single stock GT wheel, y'know?

Truthfully, I'm kicking myself for passing up a chance to buy a set of FOOSE Nitrous a guy on Craigslist had for sale a few weeks ago, tires and all...700 bucks and my GT wheels and tires. I thought it was a scam, but after emailing him, and then buying other mod parts from him, I found it was a legit deal. His wife had a Stang leased, had all this crap bolted on, drove it for 36k miles, then took all the after market stuff back off when it was time to return the car, put it back stock, then sold all the mod parts for a song, piece by piece. I bought my Roush ud pulleys from him.

Here, lemme do that again:

One more time:

I guess what I SHOULD do is ask for pix of folks w/a Torch Red Mustang that has all black stock wheels... maybe I need to go all black....

Last edited by Batenswytch; 11-10-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:09 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Well, good luck on your quest.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Thnx Pascal... Honestly though, I'm almost convinced to just wait and keep sifting through Craigslist and eBay until I find some used wheels and tires that I like, and just swap out, sell my take offs to off set the cost.

*sigh* My head hurts trying to decide. *G* Thank though for the advice. ;-)
Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If you can hang until your tires are shot, then you get everything replaced at once.
One way of doing it...

And you know very well that, it's when you're not looking for things that you stumble on them.
Almost all the hard to find parts I got for my 70 Cougar were found when I had a list for something else, lol.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:38 AM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
I can have them painted for free at my brother's paint shop.
So, if it's your brother's shop I'd imagine if any touch ups were needed down the road, you'd be hooked up? $300 vs free with touch ups as needed? Why are we even discussing powder coating?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos
So, if it's your brother's shop I'd imagine if any touch ups were needed down the road, you'd be hooked up? $300 vs free with touch ups as needed? Why are we even discussing powder coating?
Didn't you read her signature? Women are .