Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

PLEASE Help!!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
BlackStang64

Default PLEASE Help!!

Today I got my vinyl stripes removed. I noticed when I got home that on the edge where the stripes used to be there is what looks and feels like scratch marks. It looks like the guy who put them on in the first place cut into the paint on the edge of the stripes. I have no idea what to do to fix it. I know pictures would help but I don't have any at the moment. If anyone has an idea on how to get rid of these marks, PLEASE HELP!
Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Try hitting the edges where the marks are with a clay bar or cleaner wax to make sure it's not just adhesive or a buildup of dirt and wax from the vinyls edge. If that doesn't work, try buffing it out.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:52 PM
BlackStang64

Alright thanks. I will try to do that this Saturday when I have more time. I really hope the marks disappear.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:05 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

It's probably wax build up. Using a Clay bar should help remove it.
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If it's a razor blade cut, try wet sand (1500 grit) and buff.
If it's too deep, a little dab of clear with a tiny brush would fill the scratch.
Then wet sand with a small block and buff like I just said.
You should be OK.
Good luck.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:53 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hijack the thread...

Will a claybar take out scuffs in the clearcoating? I have a few small scuffs from removing my rear blackout panel. There doesn't appear to be any scratches in the paint, thanks.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

No, clay is only used to remove surface contaminants that sticks to the paint, it doesn't even out the paint or improve it in any way. To remove scuff or minor scratches use a rubbing compound and some elbow grease. I removed some decals from another vehicle and claying it did absolutely nothing. I had to buff it to get rid of the shadow effect left from the lettering.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:21 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by BlackStang64
Today I got my vinyl stripes removed. I noticed when I got home that on the edge where the stripes used to be there is what looks and feels like scratch marks. It looks like the guy who put them on in the first place cut into the paint on the edge of the stripes. I have no idea what to do to fix it. I know pictures would help but I don't have any at the moment. If anyone has an idea on how to get rid of these marks, PLEASE HELP!

I dont know why installers of vinyl do that but it might be from the install and yes I have read some will use a razor for whatever reason on the install of vinyl stripes. I think marcuskeeler had the same issue with his side stripes....I would be mad but there is an easy remedy to the problem and that what the others above have stated....wetsanding if a compound wont work......less is more until you find what removes the scratches...so compound first then wetsanding if needed...followed by a polish and wax/sealer/glaze etc

Search this Thread