Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Trufiber Venom II Hood vs Shelby Super Snake Hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:29 AM
ZoomyX
1st Gear Member

Default Trufiber Venom II Hood vs Shelby Super Snake Hood

I'm having a hard time choosing my hood. I want the super snake look for my car and so far for that I have been looking at trufiber hoods and just recently I noticed you can buy an actual Super Snake Hood from http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.co...ke%20Hood.aspx

Besides the fact that it costs a few hundred more and you have to buy the hood louvers seperately (also another 200) is there any reason a person would rather have a trufiber hood over a real super snake hood. I would think the fit and finish of a Super Snake Hood would be far and above a Trufiber product.

Would love to hear anyones thoughts or experience about this.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:20 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I had the Trufiber Venom Hood on my 2005 GT and I plan on getting another one in the future (not sure when at the moment). I do understand that the hood requires additional prep time, but I figure the money that I can save on the hood can pay for that, because I like the look of it better.....plus Shelby has had many issues with the ram air section of their hoods,......their newest version doesn't even come with true ram air anymore...

here are a few pics..
(when I had the lanyards installed)

Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

The Shelby one is around $1100 if I remember well.
The Trufiber is cheaper but needs so much work to make it right it's not even funny.
Forget prep, lol.
If I was to do one of those again for a customer, it'd be $1000 minimum in labor just to get it ready for paint. Ouch! I know, but that's how it goes with those hoods. Labor ain't free.
So, you add the price of the hood and paint and it's like a down payment for a house.

What I like about Trufiber, is that they are good looking designs.
Hopefully, they make a version for the 2010 cars (where you need prep only, of course).

I haven't done the Shelby one but it cannot possibly be as bad.
It does come primed though...
Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
The Shelby one is around $1100 if I remember well.
The Trufiber is cheaper but needs so much work to make it right it's not even funny.
Forget prep, lol.
If I was to do one of those again for a customer, it'd be $1000 minimum in labor just to get it ready for paint. Ouch! I know, but that's how it goes with those hoods. Labor ain't free.
So, you add the price of the hood and paint and it's like a down payment for a house.

What I like about Trufiber, is that they are good looking designs.
Hopefully, they make a version for the 2010 cars (where you need prep only, of course).

I haven't done the Shelby one but it cannot possibly be as bad.
It does come primed though...
LOL....any discounts for forum members Pascal?

Actually the hood is $1,099.00 and the vents are another $199.95, so you're basically looking at $1,300.00 for just the Supersnake hood.

Here's a link. The notes say that it comes unprepped and that there is "some" sanding required.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/7s3z-16612-ss.htm
Old 01-20-2010, 03:53 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang

Here's a link. The notes say that it comes unprepped and that there is "some" sanding required.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/7s3z-16612-ss.htm
You might get a discount, if you get the car down here.
Those hoods come with a gross coat of primer (gray) already but you want to re-prime it for good measure. So they're half prepped.
Here's one I shipped to Belgium and I happened to be there when they got it last October.
I never painted it though, 'cause I don't do that when I'm on vacation!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

The Supersnake hood is sharp, but the main concern I have about it is the ram air.....as I said before, there have been known issues in the past that have lead to revisions of it, and now there apparently isn't even a "true" ram air section underneath any more??

Looks good in the pictures...thanks for posting.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I am glad you told us that pascal, I probably won't be buying a trufiber or shelby soon, but I never really thought about the prep cost. What do you think about painting a CF hood, or leaving a CF hood on a black car (OneEyedWilly)...
Old 01-22-2010, 04:34 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
I am glad you told us that pascal, I probably won't be buying a trufiber or shelby soon, but I never really thought about the prep cost. What do you think about painting a CF hood, or leaving a CF hood on a black car (OneEyedWilly)...
First, you have to make a distinction between CF look and real CF.
CF look is what most people get and it's basically fiberglass cloth with CF imitation, add the resin on top and there's your hood.
Nothing wrong with that, you just don't get the super light advantage of Carbon Fiber.
One advice here: If you want to retain the CF look, I strongly suggest to clear coat those hoods if you don't want the resin to turn yellow from sun exposition...

As for REAL CF, it's mucho $ and I don't think you could get a hood for less than $3000 with that material.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:45 PM
ZoomyX
1st Gear Member

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Shelby Super Snake hood. The deciding factor for me was the fit and finish of the two exhaust louvers on top. After looking at many pictures I think it just looks better than the truefiber vents (they are built into the hood and not a seperate piece from what ive seen).
Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

congrats on your purchase of the Super Snake hood, it's going to look awesome with your GT500 front end

Quick Reply: Trufiber Venom II Hood vs Shelby Super Snake Hood