Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Please help find chrome trim for grill opening

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 PM
fkn gt

Default Please help find chrome trim for grill opening

Hi, has anybody seen chrome trim for sale that outlines the grill opening on a S197. If you take a look at the Parnelli Saleen S302 you will see what i'm looking for. It gives it a nice vintage look. Thank for your help, Tony
Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 PM
JEY

fkn gt - I used door edge trim to outling the edge of the black portion of the grill. It takes a little patience but you can lift up the edge of the grill and push on the door edge (chrome) guard all the way around. Just a thought, looks good on my 09 GT.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JEY
fkn gt - I used door edge trim to outling the edge of the black portion of the grill. It takes a little patience but you can lift up the edge of the grill and push on the door edge (chrome) guard all the way around. Just a thought, looks good on my 09 GT.
Got any pics of this? Theres a user, Digitalcos I think his name is, that has done this, sort of a V6 version of the Bullitt and it looks awesome. Chrome trim you can find at Autozone.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

There were a few cars I remember seeing with the chrome door trim on the grille before I did it. I know odiaz had it well before I did.
If you can find the Saleen PJ chrome, you'll be paying hundreds for it, and according to Saleen, the rear deck chrome is only compatible with that rear faschia. I spent less than $25 for both the grille and the rear deck.

Last edited by digitalcos; 02-18-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 PM
fkn gt

WOW! Thanks for the help and the great pics. Is this run of the mill u-grove door trim? How do you attach it to the rear?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:28 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Yep. The grille trim is just the run-of-the-mill U-groove stuff. It's a bit easier to install with the grille removed, but certainly not necessary.

The rear deck chrome is different. I talked about it in a couple recent threads:

Originally Posted by digitalcos
1/8th inch adhesive fender chrome. If I remember correctly, I bought it at Advanced Auto. Was an idea I had for quite a while, but couldn't figure out a good way to do it, until a buddy of mine came across the adhesive stuff. It's like $15 a roll. Seems like the kinda thing that should look pretty ghetto, but personally I love the way it turned out. The goal was to emulate the Bullitt movie car.

That's why I'm also going to be going with the taillight bezels or painting.

If you're considering trying it, lemme give you some tips. Definitely go with the 1/8th inch, rather than the quarter inch. The wider stuff doesn't take the compound curves as well, and cut the chrome to allow a gap at the seam where the bumper meets the fender, looks much more OEM that way.

Last edited by digitalcos; 02-18-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:42 AM
fkn gt

Looks more like Frank Bullitts Stang then what Ford did. Thanks again, Tony
Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 AM
BadSteed
1st Gear Member

Ok Bullitt fan here is a website you will drool over! Very yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.retrousa.net/product_mustang.html Enjoy!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 AM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

http://www.retrousa.net/product_mustang.html

i dont know how i feel bout that stuff
Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM
BadSteed
1st Gear Member

Its not for me, But there is alot of people who live for that look. Lots of money for a look!

Quick Reply: Please help find chrome trim for grill opening