Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Caliper paint brush-on kit standoff! Duplicolor vs G2

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:00 PM
silverstang23
2nd Gear Member

I just sprayed mine after some self etching primer. They have held up very well
Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 PM
d.mehrl

Default question on g2 application

Originally Posted by d_ames117
I painted mine with the Vista Blue G2 kit a couple years ago. Still looks like new. Worth the investment IMO since you only have to do the work once.

Dustin
they say you got 4 to 6 hrs to apply. Did you jack the whole car up and put 4 jack stands under it, or do one side at a time ? Any tips ? I just ordered some !
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

Here's my Vista Blue with G2 caliper paint. I did all 4 wheels at one time, had the car on jack stands and left them to dry overnight. Once you mix the paint you can't save it for later. Mine have been painted for almost 3 years and they still are good, need no touch up.
Attached Thumbnails Caliper paint brush-on kit standoff! Duplicolor vs G2-img_7208.jpg  
Old 03-18-2010, 08:13 PM
fordracefan
1st Gear Member

That looks nice.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

My original picture is not very clear. I'm attaching a couple of close ups here. At the time when I did this I just ordered "blue" G2 caliper paint ........they didn't have the ability back then to match actual paint colors like they can today. You can see that mine don't really match but from a few feet away they still look good.
You'll notice that I also have decals on mine.........the Pony on the front calipers, the word "MUSTANG" on the rears.
Attached Thumbnails Caliper paint brush-on kit standoff! Duplicolor vs G2-img_3463.jpg   Caliper paint brush-on kit standoff! Duplicolor vs G2-img_3464.jpg  
Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 PM
AutoXRacer
1st Gear Member

Don't use Duplicolor, that stuff is crap and your calipers color will fade and chip...

The G2 stuff is 100 times better... You calipers will look like the first day you painted them forever...and they won't chip if applied correctly.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:13 PM
fordracefan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AutoXRacer
Don't use Duplicolor, that stuff is crap and your calipers color will fade and chip...

The G2 stuff is 100 times better... You calipers will look like the first day you painted them forever...and they won't chip if applied correctly.
I was going to ask which blue you used. They do look nice. I believe the paint match is another $50, and I don't know it will look $50 better then yours.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:19 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by d.mehrl
they say you got 4 to 6 hrs to apply. Did you jack the whole car up and put 4 jack stands under it, or do one side at a time ? Any tips ? I just ordered some !
I put the whole car on jack stands and cleaned and masked all the calipers before I mixed the paint. It's best to do it this way so you can put a couple coats on before the mixture dries. You can use playing cards to slip into areas where you don't want paint (i.e. on the brake pads) and newspaper elsewhere.

Ames
Old 03-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Redfire_07
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by d.mehrl
my suggestion is poor half of it into a cup and poor some of the reactor into the cup and mix it together. you will have plenty to do all of your brakes and will be able to reuse it for another time. I did it this way and paint two cars and still had some left.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:35 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Redfire_07
my suggestion is poor half of it into a cup and poor some of the reactor into the cup and mix it together. you will have plenty to do all of your brakes and will be able to reuse it for another time. I did it this way and paint two cars and still had some left.
..or you could repaint them with a few extra coats after they dried the next day.

Quick Reply: Caliper paint brush-on kit standoff! Duplicolor vs G2