Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

What should I do about my bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 PM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation What should I do about my bumper

So I was driving home from work when I ran over something that looked like a blown semi tire or some kinda plastic shroud or something. It was dark. It made a loud clumpy crunch sound. Suprised the heck outta me. Well this is what it did and all I can see as of right now.

Now I'm not sure if I should file an insurance claim or go and replace it with a pre-painted one from E-bay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...at=0&_from=R40
. What would you guys suggest. I can't have it in a shop right now since it's my only ride at the moment. I'm rebuilding my Explorer's 5.0 engine.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:59 PM
kgrun4
2nd Gear Member

I would get a chin spoiler, most would cover up the damaged part.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 PM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

I would still need the lower black honey comb plastic shroud
Old 05-05-2012, 07:26 AM
kgrun4
2nd Gear Member

You can find those pretty cheap. Someone on here was selling theirs for $30 shipped

If you got the CDC Aggressive chin spoiler you wouldn't need that part.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/part...197-parts.html
Old 05-05-2012, 08:05 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

This is exactly how I wound up with the Cervini's bumper.

I had a Astra-Hammond chin spoiler and was driving at night coming into town, where there's like 3 speed limit changes that are very close. Looked down at speedo, looked up and tire tread in the road. It tore off half of the chin spoiler and a chunk of the bumper with it.

Replaced the stock bumper and chin spoiler with the Cervinis bumper and lower grille, cost bout the same as replacing the stock bumper and chin spoiler.

It wasn't covered under comprehensive but was covered by collision because I hit something laying in the road. If it would have been in the air, it would've been covered under comprehensive.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Time to look at GTCS awesomeness
Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Or Roush awesomeness I hit an animal and was covered by comprehensive
Old 05-05-2012, 07:21 PM
TekMan05
2nd Gear Member

I've never had to file a claim. But when you had it replaced you were able to get an aftermarket bumper? I have progressive insurance. I found the lower grille for $30. Not sure if I wanna do that for now or file a claim and get a brand new one.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:28 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TekMan05
I've never had to file a claim. But when you had it replaced you were able to get an aftermarket bumper? I have progressive insurance. I found the lower grille for $30. Not sure if I wanna do that for now or file a claim and get a brand new one.
good luck finding a prepainted takeoff in mineral gray not going to happen your best bet is to go after market the three that were mentioned are all very nice probably the top three most popular unless you wanna spend big bucks and do the gt500 conversion but to answer your question yes I have state farm and they had an adjustor meet me at their office. He estimated how much everything would cost to replace paint and install and cut a check on the spot. just tell them your not sure who you want to do the repairs. Most insurance companies prefer you use aftermarket parts they are cheaper than OEM in most cases.

Last edited by 05MineralGrayV6; 05-05-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 PM
05MineralGrayV6
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TekMan05
So I was driving home from work when I ran over something that looked like a blown semi tire or some kinda plastic shroud or something. It was dark. It made a loud clumpy crunch sound. Suprised the heck outta me. Well this is what it did and all I can see as of right now.

Now I'm not sure if I should file an insurance claim or go and replace it with a pre-painted one from E-bay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...at=0&_from=R40
. What would you guys suggest. I can't have it in a shop right now since it's my only ride at the moment. I'm rebuilding my Explorer's 5.0 engine.
you wont need to have the car in the shop by the way just drive around with your busted up bumper on there till you get your new one painted then pick it up and install it yourself save yourself some money its easy and kindof fun thats what I did

Last edited by 05MineralGrayV6; 05-05-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: What should I do about my bumper