Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Style/Light Bar Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

The CDC bar was the very first mod to my car and took maybe 2 hours tops, but that was the first time tearing into things, so I could probably do it a lot quicker now. It is fairly simple as long as you follow the directions... but it looks like the CDC directions are a bit more thorough than the Stack based on Keno's experience.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Did the CDC myself shortly after I got the car. Piece 'o cake. Follow the directions and it's an easy DIY project.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:01 PM
2008gtcs
1st Gear Member

Default CDC light bar install short cuts

At the time when I installed my CDC, the car was under lease so I did the least invasive install that I could. I also bought additional quarter trim top panels for when I would have to return the car to Ford, I was going to remove the light bar and sell it here or on ebay. (These plastic top panels have to have a 2" hole for the metal tube portion to go through). The CDC instructions are very thorough and quality is top notch _ I'd pay the extra $$ for the completeness and detail of the instruction sheets. After a couple hours of really eyeballing the directions and my car, I was able to skip a couple steps.

1. you don't need to remove the rear seat cushion OR seat back. Using a flashlight and a fish tape (or coat hangar wire) you can snake the tap in wire for the brake light - if so equipped. You can also reach the Pass. side electrical connection, buy carefully flexing the back seat side trim panel.

2. to install the brackets on each side, you don't need to drill into the body. the top 2 factory seat belt bolts are sufficient. (I know the CDC say directions say otherwise but the roll bar itself is finally attached to the brackets only with 2 meager set screws)
The "light bar" is called that not a "roll bar". It offers no roll over protection and body stiffening is questionable. Bottom line. I bought out the lease and kept the car. It's going on 4 years now and I have never had a problem with the install.

If you are considering the light bar for your vert, buy the CDC and give it a look see / test install, then you can determine for yourself. As long as you are confident using hand and power tools, even if you do the body drilling for the brackets, the CDC instructions are so detailed you can't mess up. IF you are overly concerned about the metal drill filings, lay down rags, duct tape sticky side up or have a buddy shop vac as you drill.
Attached Thumbnails Style/Light Bar Installation-img_0020.jpg   Style/Light Bar Installation-img_0022.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008gtcs
2. to install the brackets on each side, you don't need to drill into the body. the top 2 factory seat belt bolts are sufficient. (I know the CDC say directions say otherwise but the roll bar itself is finally attached to the brackets only with 2 meager set screws)
The "light bar" is called that not a "roll bar". It offers no roll over protection and body stiffening is questionable. Bottom line. I bought out the lease and kept the car. It's going on 4 years now and I have never had a problem with the install.
I just bought the style bar, I have heard other people say the same thing about not having to drill. My question is, by not drill do you comprimise the safety of the seat belts?

thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

No effect on the seat belt. The guides reattach in the original holes. I too think it's the best mod I have made yet.....
Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

cool it will make the install much easier!