Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Cervinis or TruFiber

Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

My hood cost $330 for paint and prep. That included both the top and bottom.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:01 PM
squirrel502

Again, thx guys.

Went ahead and ordered a GTS-3 and some shelby pins. Finally found a resonable painter in San Juan Capistrano (hate having to look that far out), but was quoted over the phone as $650 installed and stripped.....extra $100 if the fenders need to be blended.

While it is still more expensive then alot of other accounts.....$750 sure beats that $1400, $1500 and $1800 quotes I recieved from other painters in my area.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Grats on your decision. I'll add my name to the other 'satisfied' TruFiber hood owners. I've had mine on now over a year and still really love it. I had read and heard alot about the hood...some good, some bad, but I havent (and dont) have one bad thing to say about the hoods. Mine didnt require some insane amount or work or anything to prep and get ready for paint either.

Personally, I think the results speak for themselves (as do many other awesome looking hoods on cars in this thread):

Andretti
Old 05-04-2010, 04:47 PM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

i originally was going to refrain from posting on this thread because i didnt want this to turn into a bashing/negative thread. However after reading some of the posts on here, the opposite has happened because of some posts by people with questionable motives.

Let me start by saying, I really believe the Trufiber Venom Hood is the best looking hood you can get for our cars (short of the OEM KR hood). I get several compliments on the hood all the time.

I purchased the hood through stage3motorsports.com.

However the quality of the hood that was delivered to me was terrible. This is partly my fault, I had the hood delivered directly to my body shop for prep and paint, and even though I instructed them to inspect the hood before signing for it, they did not.

The hood that was delivered to me had several small dimples/imperfections, the wire mesh in the vents was bent to crap, and the hood generally fit poorly.

My body shop was able to smooth out most of the imperfections and bend back the wire mesh in the hood vents. The hood still fit poorly but they were able to manipulate the fenders and hood stops, etc.. where it wasn't that noticeable.
Overall, after I finally took the car home with the new hood, I would say I was happy. The new hood really set off my front end. This was about 1.5 years ago.

Fast forward to today, after full Florida summer and winter, with the car having to be parked outside.
The hood has started cracking in the middle front apex. The cracks can best be described as spider cracks. Also the mesh in the hood vents has completely broken. I took the car to body shop to see about fixing the cracks. I was told the cracks could be smoothed out, but that it would most likely start cracking again after another summer. I was told the cracking was most likely the result of not enough gel/resin mixed with the fiberglass.

I havent decided how I am to remedy this situation. On the one hand I really like the look of the hood, but on the other it looks terrible right now and most likely get worse.

Let me stress that mine is an individual case and there are several members here that have had nothing but good experiences with their Trufiber hoods. But let me also point out that I am a regular customer that paid full price for his hood and didn't get to cherry pick the best product.

I will take some pictures later today of the hood if anyone is interested.

Last edited by nmd55; 05-04-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

im curious why didnt they inspect the hood before signing off on it...or moreover, why didnt you look at the hood before allowing them to...

i work in quality assurance for a living and i can honestly say that sometimes a companies product may have some imperfections most of the time this gets caught but sometime items slip through the cracks...this is evident in all companies from electronics to cars...and in my experience most are willing to remedy the situation....

im sure they would have remedied the situation had your drop ship point been more vigilant about inspecting the product before signing off on it...

sorry to hear that this happened....but whoever signed off on it is really at fault...and to you as a customer of theirs thats pretty poopy....be glad it wasnt a supercharger with something defective....

sorry to hear about your misfortune...but im sure with enough work and research you can remedy your situation. glad you like your hood, it looks nice in the pic...good luck.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I worked on 5 Trufiber hoods (all different styles) and all were junk, sorry guys.
I saw nmd55's car and I can attest that it is another piece of fiberglass, not much of a hood.

I'm glad to see people happy with those...
Could it be that they improved the quality on those the last couple of years??
I wonder if there is enough gelcoat now as well...
If so, great.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

I'm a happy Cervini hood owner, and did all of the prep work myself - there's plenty of gel coat on there and it sands great, fit and finish was good as well. The shipping (even though it was freight) was very quick, and everything I ordered was in stock (ducktail, chin spoiler, hood)
Old 05-05-2010, 01:49 PM
squirrel502

So here is a question that I just thought about. With the GTS-3 and its fully functional Ram Air system....Will I need to worry about my current CAI tunes? Thinking extra air flow over the intake could "thin the mix".

Again, thx for all the input
Old 05-05-2010, 01:53 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by squirrel502
So here is a question that I just thought about. With the GTS-3 and its fully functional Ram Air system....Will I need to worry about my current CAI tunes? Thinking extra air flow over the intake could "thin the mix".

Again, thx for all the input
its not like that at all, nothing to worry about
Old 05-05-2010, 08:30 PM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

i went with trufiber and i've not seen anything bad out of their gts 3 hood. to me, they were a very good place to deal with

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cervinis or TruFiber