Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Thick black tail light bezels

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:45 PM
AU2BOT
2nd Gear Member

Here is my version, you can see it more up close in my profile album
Attached Thumbnails Thick black tail light bezels-img_0054.jpg  
Old 06-16-2010, 06:30 PM
MEK
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by VictoriaRR
Thanks a lot for the info. I like that they are black and don't need to be painted. I don't think gloss will bother me so much, but I'll know when I got them on. I ordered a set along with a honeycomb blackout panel from Moss Muscle. The blackout was on sale, too. Only thing was I had to pay shipping and tax, but still not too bad a deal.
I think that they would look better satin black, specially with the black out panel, since I believe that is more of a satin or flat black? I would think a scuff pad and a can of Krylon satin black would be well worth it? They would be easy to paint since there is nothing that would need to be taped off? Just a thought.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 PM
MEK
1st Gear Member

Well I've been looking them over as far as just trimming the bar above the reverse lamp and looks like I will have to go all the way and trim them like Pascal did to make them look right......... because the edge has a little "roll" to it and where the bar would get trimmed, it would be flat........if that made sense?

Anyway, question for Pascal: After trimming, where did you apply the tape, did you cut it real narrow and apply it just inside the trimmed openings or did you just put the tape around the outside? Also, after trimming, the "rolled" edges of the openings will be gone, does the flat portions that are left sit flat against the tail light? I know it sounds confusing, but seeing as you trimmed yours, I think you might know what I am trying to say?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 12:11 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MEK
I think that they would look better satin black, specially with the black out panel, since I believe that is more of a satin or flat black? I would think a scuff pad and a can of Krylon satin black would be well worth it? They would be easy to paint since there is nothing that would need to be taped off? Just a thought.
I'll give them a look and see how similar they are. If it's too noticeable I may paint them. I have some matte black paint for polycarbonate, but that's probably not what I need.

The package of both items arrived today. Pretty quick as I ordered yesterday morning. I haven't opened it yet, but looks like I may have a fun little project for this weekend.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:51 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Alright, so I compared the bezels to the blackout panel (which I installed last night) and they're really not that much glossier. Indoors, the difference is apparent. But in sunlight, you really can't tell. I doubt anyone would be able to tell, actually, unless they stood up to them and compared. So I'm not sure if I should go through with painting them a more matte finish or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to sand them or what brand/color paint to use should I take that route? Is it difficult to sand them down? Do you paint just the front or the whole thing? I don't see a need to need to tape anything on these. While they are molded in black, I think the gloss may just be a sort of finish they have as there are areas where you can see they cut them and those are not glossy.

Also... is it best to install these with the tail lights off the car or does it not matter?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM
MEK
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by VictoriaRR
Alright, so I compared the bezels to the blackout panel (which I installed last night) and they're really not that much glossier. Indoors, the difference is apparent. But in sunlight, you really can't tell. I doubt anyone would be able to tell, actually, unless they stood up to them and compared. So I'm not sure if I should go through with painting them a more matte finish or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to sand them or what brand/color paint to use should I take that route? Is it difficult to sand them down? Do you paint just the front or the whole thing? I don't see a need to need to tape anything on these. While they are molded in black, I think the gloss may just be a sort of finish they have as there are areas where you can see they cut them and those are not glossy.

Also... is it best to install these with the tail lights off the car or does it not matter?
I just painted mine, I used Krylon Satin Black. I ended up spending quite a bit of time on them and trimmed them up very similar to what Pascal did. I used a couple of different grits of sandpaper only on the edges I trimmed and on the remaining areas I just used a 3m paint prep maroon scuff pad, which is all I would think you would need to do.

I haven't put them on yet, but I will be doing it with the lights in the car, I see no reason to take them out. I have a CDC blackout panel and I was really torn between using flat black or satin black, but I ended up going with the satin. Good luck with your project.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

+2 on the Krylon Satin Black. Scuffed up mine with a scotchbrite pad, wiped off with enamel reducer & painted. Installed with the tailights installed, no need to remove.