Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Dings...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Default Dings...

Hey guys, I'm the guy that parks at walmart or any other store way in the back so that nobody parks near me and when I come out there is cars all around me.. yea thats me. It makes no sense.

Anyways I have about 12 door dings in my passenger side rear panel and its annoying the **** out of me, besides PDR or anything like that do any of you know any good "tricks" or anything to pull these out or at least make them less noticeable? Preferably something YOU know works and not something you've heard of.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 PM
3fan
1st Gear Member

Dont know any tricks. But the same thing happens too me also. Luckly no dings yet. Pdr works good my wifes hail car looks great. Also my15 year old son got lippy with some guy at a mexican resturant Sunday for parking right next too us after we went all the way too the end of the lot. he was the only one in his car so the passenegr door was never opened but had to laugh at my son saying what man what? There isnt any other space except next too us. LOL
Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 AM
ZoomyX
1st Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnmJBzfboOI

Try this :P
Old 07-14-2010, 02:36 AM
09cs
5th Gear Member

I have a door ding too.. No one else notices it but me, but **** the hell out of me!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:19 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09cs
I have a door ding too.. No one else notices it but me, but **** the hell out of me!
+1, nobody notices all of the ones I have on that panel and its funny because they're ALL on that passenger panel and then I have one on my drivers side, nobody notices all of them on the passenger side rear panel but since I know its there it pisses me off.

Zoomy, I've heard mixed reviews about that tricks, I've read it works and it doesn't.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Mike Maples
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Hey guys, I'm the guy that parks at walmart or any other store way in the back so that nobody parks near me and when I come out there is cars all around me.. yea thats me. It makes no sense.

Anyways I have about 12 door dings in my passenger side rear panel and its annoying the **** out of me, besides PDR or anything like that do any of you know any good "tricks" or anything to pull these out or at least make them less noticeable? Preferably something YOU know works and not something you've heard of.

Thanks
Contact a local car lot or body shop and find out who they use and recommend for dents and dings which don't warrant body work. I have used a local "Dent Doctor" several times. These guys work magic on dings and they don't cost too much. When a good one is finished you can"t tell there was ever a ding there. I usually just meet the guy at a local lot where hes is scheduled to work and he works me in.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike Maples
Contact a local car lot or body shop and find out who they use and recommend for dents and dings which don't warrant body work. I have used a local "Dent Doctor" several times. These guys work magic on dings and they don't cost too much. When a good one is finished you can"t tell there was ever a ding there. I usually just meet the guy at a local lot where hes is scheduled to work and he works me in.
If you don't mind what were the rates you've experienced and how many did you have? I got quoted some crazy numbers from one guy heres how it went...

$115 just for him to come out and start
$75 each panel
$15 a dent

If I switch panels thats another $75

I estimated it would cost around $550-600 for ALL of my dents on the required panels.

Does this sound about right?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 AM
incorrigible
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZoomyX
I tried a similar method using a hair dryer and dry ice on several dings in my wifes van. Didn't work at all.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Mike Maples
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
If you don't mind what were the rates you've experienced and how many did you have? I got quoted some crazy numbers from one guy heres how it went...

$115 just for him to come out and start
$75 each panel
$15 a dent

If I switch panels thats another $75

I estimated it would cost around $550-600 for ALL of my dents on the required panels.

Does this sound about right?
I never paid that much. I don't get hit with the "come out and start" fee because I just wait til he is scheduled at the local lots and meet him there. I have a good relationship with a couple of local dealers and I meet him at one of their lots. I had about 6 dents done on a BMW Z3 for about $100 and I had two done on an 09 Ram 1500 for about $70

$15 per dent sounds fair and switching panels is a bit of a hassle for these guys because they have to set up a special light, find access points to the panel and switch tools for different set-ups.

If the guy shows up periodically like ours does then just do what you can afford at the time and save the rest for another day. Once they are all gone it's just a maintenance thing. I have two vehicles that I keep ding free. When a new dent shows up I call the "Doctor" and find out when he's coming to town.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 AM
dr_sarcasm

Originally Posted by Mike Maples
I never paid that much. I don't get hit with the "come out and start" fee because I just wait til he is scheduled at the local lots and meet him there. I have a good relationship with a couple of local dealers and I meet him at one of their lots. I had about 6 dents done on a BMW Z3 for about $100 and I had two done on an 09 Ram 1500 for about $70

$15 per dent sounds fair and switching panels is a bit of a hassle for these guys because they have to set up a special light, find access points to the panel and switch tools for different set-ups.

If the guy shows up periodically like ours does then just do what you can afford at the time and save the rest for another day. Once they are all gone it's just a maintenance thing. I have two vehicles that I keep ding free. When a new dent shows up I call the "Doctor" and find out when he's coming to town.
Normally I wouldn't quote the entire post, but this was spot on. I had 3-4 dings removed from my car (based over a few years of accumulation), on 2 different panels, and it came out to $100CDN (about $97USD) using a guy through the local detailer I go to (close to the prices quoted above).

What you've been quoted in terms of cost sounds borderline criminal...imo (wtf on the "appearance" fee...).

Look around, see if you have 'Dent Doctors' (name of a company up here) or go through a detailing shop (heck, even my local Ford dealers have guys who come out to remove dings and dents a few times a month).

As to tricks/tips - I've never seen one that actually works; my car is black, and I'm happy to pay a pro to get the job done right given how easily they are to see on dark paint.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Dings...