Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Carbon fiber hood opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Time2SHO
I just wanted to see if i could get away without painting it, but i also want other peoples opinions on it. Its not a big deal if it really looks that bad, i'll just paint it with the rest of the parts that i got over the break.

Ha nice, definitely dont want to do that, for the long term fix.

Among with the louvers, im going to be putting on the CDC agressive chin, which i was going to leave black too, so i should paint the hood the same body color too?

I was told by a buddy of mine that companys sell carbon hoods that actually have fiber glass underneath? which isnt real carbon hood right? but Trucarbon hood are 100% carbon right?
Depends on which hood you get. Some of the TruCarbon hoods are fiberglass on the bottom and some are not.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Time2SHO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
I want this.
thats pretty sweet looking

Originally Posted by DRock
Depends on which hood you get. Some of the TruCarbon hoods are fiberglass on the bottom and some are not.
Sorry for the late reply, but would the 3 inch cowl have fiber glass on the bottom? But when you buy a carbon fiber hood, why would they put fiber glass on the bottom?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 AM
IndecisiveS197
2nd Gear Member

it's for cost savings. LOTS of carbon hoods are actually Fiberglass hoods with only a few layers of carbon on the top for looks.

fiberglass hoods = cheaper, but aren't as rigid as full carbon hoods.

Carbon Fiber hoods = more expensive but more rigid and slightly lighter. (plus bragging rights...)
Old 01-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Time2SHO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IndecisiveS197
it's for cost savings. LOTS of carbon hoods are actually Fiberglass hoods with only a few layers of carbon on the top for looks.

fiberglass hoods = cheaper, but aren't as rigid as full carbon hoods.

Carbon Fiber hoods = more expensive but more rigid and slightly lighter. (plus bragging rights...)
Really? So i guess im going to give them a call beore i order a hood and make sure its 100% carbon. Can they really advertise that they have carbon hoods, but its really fiber glass underneath?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

well, they do it anyway
Old 01-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

What do you mean by that?
More room for supercharger and stuff, heat extraction...idk lol
Old 01-01-2011, 07:25 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Really? So i guess im going to give them a call beore i order a hood and make sure its 100% carbon. Can they really advertise that they have carbon hoods, but its really fiber glass underneath?
Yes because it is carbon. it makes it cheaper for the buyer and it is mainley for a street car. A Straight up full carbon hood would be a ton and would be pointless for a street car.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Actually a blending of different fabrics can make a stronger hood. The best would be fabric that had threads of different materials. Aramid also known as Kevlar has a much higher tear resistance so parts don't shatter they turn into cloth but stay in one piece. Fiberglass offers increase impact resistance.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 AM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Actually a blending of different fabrics can make a stronger hood. The best would be fabric that had threads of different materials. Aramid also known as Kevlar has a much higher tear resistance so parts don't shatter they turn into cloth but stay in one piece. Fiberglass offers increase impact resistance.
Ok see that makes sense. I was told that it was stronger but couldnt remember the way that they explained it to me.

So these hoods are made for STREET cars
Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Time2SHO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
More room for supercharger and stuff, heat extraction...idk lol
Sorry thats my fault i probably miss read what you posted, I now know what you mean.

Originally Posted by DRock
Yes because it is carbon. it makes it cheaper for the buyer and it is mainley for a street car. A Straight up full carbon hood would be a ton and would be pointless for a street car.
I see what you meant by the differences in prices, and how it wouldnt be much use if i did buy a full carbon hood for my car. Thank you

I just had one last question, it says on the trucarbon website that they recommend hood pins, Is there a company to stay away from when buying hood pins? Cause i was looking for like the old school style ones, i've seen the shebly ones, but not really interested in those..

Thanks for the info. So the fiber glass actually can make the carbon on top stronger?

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber hood opinions