Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Follow along as I destroy my car (bumper repaint)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:17 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Hats off to you and your BF for giving it a try! I just keep putting touch up paint on my dinged rear bumper. LOL
Good luck!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Ok... holy crap this has been an undertaking. DO NOT do this if you aren't completely dedicated. Its HARD. Anyway, today I started with the spot already being sanded.

1. I cleaned it with alcohol to get rid of any debris.
2. Then I taped off everything, as it turns I should have done this better...
3. Then rattle can primer

4. Remove tape

Looks simple... it wasn't. I sprayed the primer with no problem. Then I sprayed on the first layer of paint. (Don't have pics of this) Well it ran. So I tried to sand it, that did not go well. Then I tried to sand it again and primer... I had a blonde moment and primered over water spots. So then I had to go buy bumper striper and used that. So After it was striped and sanded again I re primered the stupid thing. This time that I primered it has a few spot that are going to have to be sanded before I paint it. What should have taken a few hours is going to turn into a two day job.
Oh and when I removed the tape I had two spots where primer had gotten on the paint on my fender. Luckily it came off easily with alcohol and Q-tips. I cannot stress enough the importance of good taping!

Does anyone know how I should take care of these small runs in the primer?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Damn now you got me thinking about trying to redo the lip of my hood. It looks like schit because of the oxidation, so it can't look any worse and could hold me over til I get a cowl. Hmmm
Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

This is how I looked at it, I want/need a new bumper anyway, so why not take a crack at it myself first? Because I'm not paying $375 to get it fixed (yeah to get it fixed!) for a V6 bumper. At least this will buy me sometime before I get my duals and bumper. Just take your time and be patient you will be good.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Yeah I'm with ya on that. I'm really **** about these things and it's embarrassing (to me at least) so this could be a cheap, temp fix. It looks like a blind person went nuts with a thing of whiteout (goddamn you Ford) now so it's worth a shot
Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I know what you mean. I hated when people would walk around my car and thinking it was really nice, then they would see the back. Plus I hated getting out of my car, and I know some people were like "Oh teenage girl no wonder its messed up." Lol. It just makes it look like you don't care about your car. :/ With primer on it at least it looks like I'm trying to fix it.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If you didn't use any adhesion promoter (like bulldog) on the plastic before priming then you're gonna have problems as the promoter is needed to create a proper bond.

You need a decent bumper ASAP
Old 04-29-2011, 01:26 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

wait your a girl?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Lol yes I'm a girl.
And Pascal I did use an adhesion promoter. Did I do something wrong? Or do I just need a new bumper cause mine looks like poo?
I can't wait to get a new one, but for now this is going to have to work. Ha modding is expensive on a college kid budget.

Last edited by Tanner05; 04-29-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
Lol yes I'm a girl.
And Pascal I did use an adhesion promoter. Did I do something wrong? Or do I just need a new bumper cause mine looks like poo?
I can't wait to get a new one, but for now this is going to have to work. Ha modding is expensive on a college kid budget.
Modding is also expensive for a married guy with two kids! LOL
My wife said, if you didn't have a wife and kids, you could of had the GT you always wanted. Eventually, I will!!! =-)

Quick Reply: Follow along as I destroy my car (bumper repaint)