Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

New hood to buy- ADVICE NEEDED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:01 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default New hood to buy- ADVICE NEEDED!

Gentlemen,

So a few days ago, I had a minor accident and the bottom line is my hood needs replacing. The insurance people wrote 1300 for a factory piece but I'm told I can save some money by going aftermarket. After looking around, I fell in love with KR style hood and I cannot decide between the Cervinis https://cervinis.com/product.aspx?car=1&id=1208#1197 and Trufiber http://www.trufiber.com/Trufiber_Mus...f10024-a53.htm units

A few sticking points for me- the body shop doing the work hazarded me to ask around because apparently these hoods can need ALOT of work (And $) to perform. I have looked around and heard that Trufiber hoods are crap or not worth the money, although I am attracted more towards the Trufiber styling. That said, the differences seem pretty marginal. So the question is which hood is better quality, or should I play it safe and go with the factory replacement?
Old 05-28-2011, 01:04 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

* To specify, cervinis part # 1187-4352
Old 05-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Glad you're ok.
That's the thing about this forum...
"Oh no you had a wreck?? Time to upgrade?"
I guess there has to be a positive side to the situation. Lol
I like the Cervinis much more than the Trufiber.
If you have to replace it you might as well go after market.
I'm sure one of the body shop guys will come on here and tell you if there are any major cons. A picture of your car could help too.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:54 AM
09cs
5th Gear Member

TruFiber hoods are good quality hoods! I picked mine up yesterday and is going in for paint on Tuesday. The Trufiber one has built in ram air where the air is directed over the stock air box location where as the Cervini one is not.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:26 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Cervinis is better quality and much less prep work involved. as far as functional ram air is concerned...it doesnt do squat for performance so i wouldnt worry about that.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:52 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

I like the looks of the Trufiber hood.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:02 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

DO NOT USE A FACTORY HOOD!

It's the perfect opportunity for you to improve the look of the car and make a few bucks in the process.
There are so many better aftermarket style hoods out there for not even half of the price the OEM retails at.

Cervini's quality is so much better than Trufiber (see pics) but the latter brand has the edge on better looking designs and selection.
The Cervini IV looks great IMO and needs minimal prep...
I installed it on a GT500 and it turned out great in every aspects, will do it again.

Cervini 2.5 cawl after sand blocking: Perfect
The type IV you like turned out the same.

Trufiber (2 different styles shown here): Forget sand blocking, you're in for a project!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Hoose84
2nd Gear Member

I'd have to say +1 on Cervini. The amount of prep work is minimal and the fit is great (based on my limited experience). Got mine with the RAM air kit for less than what the insurance was going to pay for the stock one (hail damage).

I'm down here near St Louis where all the tornados have been blowing through, good time for upgrades.

Hoose
Old 05-28-2011, 10:49 AM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

i got the cervini ram air hood and the guy who painted it said the quality was better than any aftermarket hood he had painted
Old 05-28-2011, 01:48 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the quick response guys! Im floored!

After reading the posts, Ive decided to go with the Cervini product because its apparently cheaper both in base cost and cost of preparation and installation. Someone asked about the car, its a 2009 V6 Pony Package in Dark Candy Apple Red. Windows tinted to the california maximum, im trying to upload a pic but slightly technologically challenged. Ill deff post stuff after my baby is put back together and looking pretty!

Quick Reply: New hood to buy- ADVICE NEEDED!