Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Window cleaning expertise

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

That is the same problem I have ALEC. No matter what I do I get the same results in the end. I thought maybe the previous owner had sprayed something on the glass, that I just could not get off. Looks real clean, then I drive down the road and get that sun glare off it, and it is all streaky. Maybe the detailers who do this for a living have run into this problem, will chime in with some info.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I have the same issue as well. I wiped down all of my windows like 3 times this past weekend and they still look bad!!! I used ammonia/glass cleaner and a microfiber towel to no avail....
Old 10-19-2011, 10:54 AM
jamesgribley
1st Gear Member

I have used the INVISIBLE GLASS foam type spray cleaner...got it at Wally Mart in the auto section...I have used paper towel and a nice clean rag....it looks good for a bit...

My 2 cent theory is there is something coming out of the defrost vents that coats the glass with "crud" whatever it may or could be...like I said a 2 cent theory...how else does it get dirty...don;t smoke and I am not putting my hands all over the inside of the windshield... : /
Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

I use Stoner's Invisible Glass on cotton cloths and have no issues... One rag wet with the SIG, followed by a dry rag.

Also, are you guys using Armor All or something similar on your plastic? That stuff makes windows so nasty with a hazy film once the defrost vents blow near it...

Last edited by CincyGT2009; 10-19-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

This is SO simple .... a microfiber waffle weave towel and Stoners Invisible Glass...
Amazing results
Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

Ive tried everything..............the best that works for me is a combination of 1/8 vinegar with water and paper towels. After putting up with years of hunting for something to do away with "film" on the inside of the windshield.............thats the best I can do.

Last edited by Mayberry40; 10-19-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:33 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Dude, I would try it in the shade with a warm surface...i think you will get better results.
On the interior, I wipe the glass with a warm damp 100% cotton baby diaper on the first pass and finish up with armor-all glass wipes to remove any streaks.
LMAO!!! I do pamper my car, but I'm not about to start buying diapers to clean the freakin windows. I have limits.

However I have the same problem. Terrible looking windows no matter how much I clean them.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:16 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

Surprised you guys are having problems, my windows come out clean and perfect every time.

I mainly use Adam's products, everything I bought from them works like magic.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-54-ad...s-cleaner.aspx

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-422-a...ng-towels.aspx

Always use a fresh side of the towel for the final wipe and cleaners containing ammonia is NOT good for your tint, so I wouldn't use it on the cleaning the windows inside.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Great ideas here but then again, I'm desperate. I have some old diapers in my rag pile and will have the g/f pick up some Stoners (although I think I tried that a year or so ago). Thanks for the tips. I was considering just busting out the windows, period...
Old 10-20-2011, 05:53 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

I subscribe to the idea of the excess crap coming from the vents as well. Just a thought Nuke, but you might try and change the cabin filter if you haven't lately...idk.

Originally Posted by kzonts
LMAO!!! I do pamper my car, but I'm not about to start buying diapers to clean the freakin windows. I have limits.
Jesus dude, how much are they charging a guy down there for baby diapers?
They are not that expensive and make great detailing rags for all kinds of stuff.

Quick Reply: Window cleaning expertise