Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Dash Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Gotta try this sometime. Not sure if I'm sold on the carbon fiber pattern though.
Will look into this in the spring once I tint my windows
Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wpipes
Damn, that makes me want to pull mine out .

A bit offtopic but they have a newer type of window tint (a bit pricey) called CCX or something along those lines that is suppose to reflect around 80% of heat from the sun, regardless of tint percentage. Certain shops will do your windshield for you as well.
ill have to look into that to keep things cool in the summer, it gets really hot in FL!

and thanks again

** update **
no bubbles or creases to date (hottest its gotten is 82, coldest 27)
Old 01-06-2012, 09:00 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

looks great! Certainly kicks the dash up a notch.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

thanks!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

yea ill at minimum cover the chrome up on the dash
sh** gets bright when sun reflects off it.
Also with black leather, carpet and other panels I think it would look nicer.
Not sure if i wanna cover the silver bezel across the dash
Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 PM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

dang it. I'm probably going to do this...
Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 AM
jake1.11
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the write up...i just received my dinoc in the mail yesterday and started removing panels. The panels that house the window switches came off easy as did the speaker outer grilles. Is there a trick for removing the door handle cups? Also in your write up you desribed unbolting the airbag and removing it...is that really all there is to it? I assume i should disconnect the battery first to keep it from deploying?
Im looking forward to this mod. I bought a 4x8 piece of the dinoc so i have my work cut out for me. After i do the interior pieces i plan to dinoc my CDC font spoiler and the rockers.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lem-06
yea ill at minimum cover the chrome up on the dash
sh** gets bright when sun reflects off it.
Also with black leather, carpet and other panels I think it would look nicer.
Not sure if i wanna cover the silver bezel across the dash
yep im not done yet, but im trying to make it a grey/black interior mix, i didnt want all black interior with a black car for 2 reasons: too common and too hot for a DD

Thanks for the write up...i just received my dinoc in the mail yesterday and started removing panels. The panels that house the window switches came off easy as did the speaker outer grilles. Is there a trick for removing the door handle cups? Also in your write up you desribed unbolting the airbag and removing it...is that really all there is to it? I assume i should disconnect the battery first to keep it from deploying?
Im looking forward to this mod. I bought a 4x8 piece of the dinoc so i have my work cut out for me. After i do the interior pieces i plan to dinoc my CDC font spoiler and the rockers.
well if your planning on doing the door panel inlays (around the arm rest area) you can not take that part out, nor can you remove the arm rest. to cover the area you should take the door panel completely off and lay it flat, make a templet and cut it out about .5 inch on either side.

1. to take the panel off u need to take off the plastic corner trim piece behind the mirror on the top left (passenger door) or top right (driver door) it just pulls strait off.

2. then take off the little panels behind the door handle and the other one behind the arm rest pocket.

3. you will find a torx screw behind each (the are in there a bit tight haha)

4. then pop off the switch panel (pry up with screw driver) and pull the plastic piece below the switch panel strait away from the door and it too will pop off.

5. behind this panel you fill find a 7mm screw, remove that along with the other 6 or so around the door as well as the ones around 8" subs (but leave one screw/bolt attached to hold the sub in the door panel for a bit)

6. then pop the whole door panel off the door (lift up and away) and gently set it down (do not move it too much because the wiring for the sub is still attached)

7. theres one 8mm bolt (i believe) holding the back of the sub to the panel, remove it and unhook the wiring from the sub as well as the screw left in the front and the sub is free along with the door panel.

when you look at the back of the panel you will find that you cannot remove anything else from the panel, so to cover any other parts on the doors other than what is needed to be removed to remove the panel will have to be covered in whole on the panel.

*as for the air bag, yes it is that simple as 2 bolts you can see through the glove box, but it does take a bit of wiggling the back of the airbag and prying the front cover to get it out. dont pull too far out tho, the wiring harness is really short!!! I left the battery hooked up, probably a dumb idea, but it didnt go off on me.*

Last edited by Stang-aholic; 01-10-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:26 PM
asl9622
1st Gear Member

Alright guys if you are interested in this project please please buy the di noc by 3m. Stay away from METRO restyling carbon fiber vinyl. I bought it for 15 dollars shipped and thought hey if I don't like it I only lose 15 bucks. It arrived quickly and at first glance I was pleased by quality. However its adhesive was the equivalent to painters tape. I cleaned dash and made best possible surface for adhesion but it did not stick great. Even with the heat gun I could not get it to stick around edges. I finally got it on all the parts and back on car but edges looked terrible and I peeled it off like a sticker. The good news is it is not hard to take apart the dash panels. So do not be scared if you have few mechanical skills. If you can use a screw driver and wrench you are good to go.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 AM
jake1.11
1st Gear Member

Stangaholic...thanks for the additional info. I got all the panels off last night and it worked just as you said. I did disconnect the battery first tho...

As for the door panel...i need to take the drivers side off because there is something broke on my window track (it has been loose for a while probably because i close the door by grabbing the top edge of the window).

The area that i was considering wrapping tho was the small panel that the door opening lever sits in. It apears to be removable but i cant figure it out.

Thanks again for the great thread. I will take some pictures as the project goes...

Jake

Quick Reply: Dash Refresh