Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Android Tablet Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 PM
asl9622
1st Gear Member

Default Android Tablet Install

Hey ladies and gentlemen of the mustang world,
Just wanted to let you know it is very possible to install Android tablets in our cars. I used a Lenovo Ideapad A1. It is roughly, 7.7x 4.8. Unfortunately it is a little bigger than the double din slot. I tried to be creative and do different mounting ideas but settled for building a little custom case and sanding the hole bigger. I need ideas on some kind of bezel to cover the areas where I sanded too far. The audio runs from a lineout to a single din stereo receiver I tucked behind. Really I could have moved the radio to anywhere in the car but originally the plan was to have the tablet easily removable and still have a functioning radio. With the current install the tablet comes out but requires taking apart console and side covers to put it back in. Any suggestions would be great on how to make completely removable and insert-able with ease. The reason it was so hard to have it come out and in really easy is that the power and lineout are on opposite ends of the tablet.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 PM
asl9622
1st Gear Member

I also installed a switch above the tablet that is connected to the charger. This switch is dual purpose- charges tablet and I use it to turn on the screen if it ever times out.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 PM
kgrun4
2nd Gear Member

That looks awesome, maybe you can fashion some sort of cover for the front of it using abs plastic like this stuff on ebay. You could try to attach it so that it can easily be taken off and then behind it you can have it so that the tablet can be pulled out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-ABS-PL...ht_2963wt_1141
Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Looks great! And if you don't mind me asking, how did you change those LEDs behind the A/C controls? The blue looks amazing! A quick how-to, or some pointers would be greatly appreciated haha.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

That looks great, where did you get your ignition button?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:46 PM
asl9622
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgrun4
That looks awesome, maybe you can fashion some sort of cover for the front of it using abs plastic like this stuff on ebay. You could try to attach it so that it can easily be taken off and then behind it you can have it so that the tablet can be pulled out.

You are the man for finding this. If it is thin enough my friend's dad owns a laser engraver that might be able to cut it cleanly. I will see what I can do
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 PM
asl9622
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Looks great! And if you don't mind me asking, how did you change those LEDs behind the A/C controls? The blue looks amazing! A quick how-to, or some pointers would be greatly appreciated haha.
I actually used a write up to do it. I wish my hard drive hadn't crashed because I used to have them bookmarked. I changed all the leds in my car (dash, switches, ac control etc.

Just found link to tutorial here you go. Do not be scared to try. I had no soldering experience before and was able to do it. Just take your time.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...itches-463262/

Good luck
Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 PM
asl9622
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
That looks great, where did you get your ignition button?
It is from a whole keyless and remote start entry system. It is called Dowontec Smartkey System St 800. I was skeptical at first because it is foreign product but did some research and bunch of people had installed them in their nissan 350z and other asian cars. I could not find any for American but decided to try it anyways. I recommend having professionally installed but if you want to try it, it is not super difficult just very time consuming. The riskiest part is not tripping the for PATS system and locking your car like I did. I didn't install the bypass module correctly so when I tried the push button the car locked me out. I had to tow it to ford to have it reprogrammed. Basically this system lets me walk up to the car and it unlocks by itself. It uses RF signal. When I get far enough away the car locks again. The remote start was great for the winter time.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:56 PM
asl9622
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgrun4

The problem with getting the tablet out and in really easy is the inputs being on opposite ends. There was one tablet that had them both on the bottom which would have been great because I could have made a dock, but it was much more expensive. I still might try to do what this guy did...

http://www.mp3car.com/android-tablet...dvd-drive.html

He used a dvd dock to have the tablet slide in and out. My problem was that the ford mustang metra kit was too small so I would have to entirely fabricate the front plate and really widen the hole to the double din.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Now that is badass! Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Android Tablet Install