Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

You guys like pictures and I like criticism.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

You asked for criticism you got it...constructive criticism that is.

When taking pictures try to choose the best part of the day to do so without the sun making shadows like in some of your pictures. If you do not have time to wait around and wait for the sun to start setting or you are taking them right at noon try this. When the car is facing away from the sun it produces unsightly shadows which ruins pictures, try to "Move your feet"which simply means place the car pointing the sun where it highlights all the details which you the car owner would want in pictures. Also, when taking pictures make sure that you do not have any: poles, trees, cars, water towers, etc growing out of the body of the car. In pictures these really do look like they are hanging off the car or growing out of it. Like Mayo said, unless you are trying to show off your tires make sure to cut the wheels where the camera can get the wheel and not the tire tread.

You can also try different angles, etc by turning the camera slightly, backing up from the car every so often to take multiple pictures, etc. Also try different standing positions, when taking photos DO NOT BE AFRAID TO LAY ON THE GROUND a little germs doesn't kill anyone. Getting close to the ground gives the car a muscular stance and really brings out the curves in the car. After taking some pictures laying on the ground try sitting "indian style" and raise your camera and arms a little bit and take a picture. Practice really helps, the only way to do so is to just go out and shoot and learn from your mistakes as you go along. The area you selected for your pictures isn't a "bad" location but it could have been better. Maybe try to find a not too busy bridge and stop in the middle, turn the car slightly, and cut the wheels like again Mayo said. Also, invest in photoshop there are some of the cheaper versions available of it online or at stores like best buy for only 89.00$. Editing is a must on your glamour photos which you want to make everyone go "WOW!!". Here is an example of some of the stuff you can do:
BEFORE:This is what the picture originally looked like. I know right? way different after.

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

P.S. : T.A.S. Photography is my photography name. I also am not just "showing off more pictures of my car". I am trying to show him what you can do and help him grow in his photography

Last edited by mustang0672; 03-18-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rylay
Those were on the car when I got it and I was going to replace them but they seem to have grown on me since and the fender stripes just need to be paint instead of vynal.
I don't know who's car this is but it's always been one of my favorites. The camera work and the car are fabulous and it looks like you're almost there!

Old 03-18-2012, 01:48 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedFire281
I don't know who's car this is but it's always been one of my favorites. The camera work and the car are fabulous and it looks like you're almost there!

I think his forum name is "D'prived" or something close to that.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Yea that's dprived's awesome freakin stang.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

I took the with a Nikon coolpix L105 to be precise
Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

OP, one of the basic tips I've always been told is to back up and use the zoom to get a greater depth in the picture. Using manual zoom, not digital.

And remember: just because you have access to $10k worth of photo editing software doesn't mean every picture you take needs the full power of said software, nor will it turn you into Ansel Adams. Some minor tweaks here and there to adjust contrast and shadows is fine, but sometimes the editing just ends up highlighting deficiencies in the original photo.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Minimal editing was my goal, the cars are awesome already. I would only try and edit stuff around the car like the shadows and that car driving past in one of them

Also for the second shoot this chick brought her camera she uses for horse shows and I kept the wheels straight, shot in the afternoon so there was no direct sunlight and let her do her stuff while I sat there and chucked pebbles at the building. So when she gets me those I'll add them to the first post. I think they came out better.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Second day. this is just one of the pics and i snagged it off facebook cause i haven't seen her yet today but I think the she did better than me so far.

2nd try by ylayRay, on Flickr
Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

Your car looks great! I am no photo critic, but your car is ripe for Black Agent 47 mirrors. Mine are coming in this week, but I will paint the bullet part red. No Mustang should be forced to have F-150 ears.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Nice car looks really good but that being said not a huge fan of the red accents on the wheels because nothing else on your car is red so they look a bit out of place IMO
Still looks good, and super clean!

Quick Reply: You guys like pictures and I like criticism.