Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Anybody tried this antenna stub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Default Anybody tried this antenna stub?

$20 and they say it screws right in. I was just googling around and found it. Anyone here tried it?

http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/...y-Antenna.html
Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

I don't have that one but I can tell you will lose reception. If that doesn't matter then you just need to know if it doesn't fit can you return it. It is a solid aluminum antenna which is what I made for mine and while it looks fine it doesn't follow the rules for antenna reception. It is not just a matter of sticking any length of metal in the air. The length of the antenna is supposed to be a fraction like one quarter of the average wave length you are looking to receive. AM had long antennas FM shorter ones. There is a proper way of making a shorter antenna by wrapping a wire of the appropriate length at the end of the shorter shaft. I assume they don't think it is worth while.

Last edited by 908ssp; 04-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

its free to cut it yourself....
...looksbetter too...
Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 AM
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/14inch...enna-0509.html

I have this. I personally, did not notice any difference in the radio signal. If this is too long, they have an 8 inch as well, but when i read reviews of it people were complaining about loss of radio signal so i went with the 14 inch. They also have black in 14 and 8 inch if you prefer it over chrome. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:45 AM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I was planning on getting the 8 inch but figured I'd look for something shorter. I hate the gigantic factory antenna and I would love some sort of short stub like this. Or maybe one even shorter or angled back a bit. I took mine off completely when I was washing it and just left it off. I still get FM radio reception fine so I'm not too worried about it. Don't use the radio much anyway, but I'm not ready to shave it and patch the fender just yet.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Hell, I just took mine off.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:06 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, but my mind insists that there be SOMETHING there. Since I already have that damn plastic **** on top of my fender, I figure I'll do the best with what I've got.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

Cut mine in half, put the ball back on, and I never noticed a difference in reception, AM or FM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BAB GT
Cut mine in half, put the ball back on, and I never noticed a difference in reception, AM or FM.
yup, and no whistle at speed like the aftermarket ones.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

The real test of an antenna is how it works for YOU. Someone listening to a baseball game on an AM station 50 miles away has a different need than someone listening to a local FM station.

I haven't kept up with the sound systems, but on my car there is a test to measure the relative strength of a radio signal. Turn the radio on and tune to an AM or FM signal. Simultaneously press and hold preset buttons 3 and 6. This enters a "speaker walk-around test" that tests each speaker individually. While in this mode, press preset button 3. This displays digits showing signal strength. The higher the number, the greater the strength. You can check the relative signal strength for various antennas using this method. Turn the radio off to exit the test.

I would suggest testing the various antennas with the car in the same position. Then I would suggest that you move the car and try the test again. You can sometimes get screwy results in any one given position because of the radio signal bouncing off buildings, etc.

Also, unless you only have one station that you listen to, check the stations at the high, middle, and low ends of the AM/FM bands. Short antennas are notorious for having limited bandwidth. For example, they may be fine in the middle of the band, but have terrible reception at the high or low ends.

Quick Reply: Anybody tried this antenna stub?