Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Window Tints

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:32 PM
iAerials
1st Gear Member

Exclamation Window Tints

Does anyone have any experience with window tints. I'm going to get 5% tints on my front two windows soon since i have louvers on the rear and quarter windows. I have like 35% now and 5% is very dark, but i will get used to it. Just wondering if anyone else has 5% tints and how much you like your tints. My car is black so i think that 5% would look really good with the black paint. I live in Jersey so if there are any other people with tints let me know how it has been with the cops.

thanks

Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Hecubus28

I have 5% all the way around on mine and on the windshield strip. My car is black also. It is really dark at night, I don't really have any problems at night and I mainly drive my car in the summer and since its a convertible the windows and top are usually down anyways though

The tint was on the car from the dealer but I have never been stopped by the police.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

5% is limo tint dark. You wont see sh*t at night. You will have to roll the windows down to back up at night too. I doubt its even legal there as well. 35% is whats legal on Maui and the fine is $150 a window for being too dark. Yes the cops do carry light meters too.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Chances are you will be pulled over for anything below 15% on the side windows or even the rear ones. 20% is usually the best of both worlds, but here in Indiana at least, anything below that will warrant a pull over in any non-rural part of the state.

And like 808 said, 5% is very dark so you're going to have to be very careful backing up at night in dark areas.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:10 AM
NTMAREMACH

I have a black 04 Mach with rear louvers and the 1/4 panel louvers. Have 5% on the rear and two side windows. I live in Ma and I believe the max. is 35%. The installed said he does all the police cars in the area and if I were to be stopped at night to put my interior lights on put down the window and leave your hands in sight. Probably the most important part is showing the officer you are not going to be a problem approaching the car. As what was said above it's hard to see out the side windows when you are making a turn and hard to see backing up. Other than that I have never been stopped for the window tint. The installer also said if I wanted the 5% that if I were to be pulled over for the tint and written up that it was going to cost me more just to have the tint removed. The day after I had the tint put on I was pulled over so the lights came on the window went down and I left my hands in plane sight on the steering wheel. I thought damn I just had them put on and now I'll be paying to have them removed. I was stopped for the exhaust. He thought it was a little loud and not original from Ford. In Ma. you can be written up for any change from original that would make the car louder. He didn't write me up because he though I was some young kid in a Mustang but instead found an old fart behind the wheel. I love the looks of the tint but as what was said it's hard to see out of them at night. Also had the rear light darkened and that's another reason I thought I was being pulled over for not the exhaust. LOL

Old 05-17-2012, 04:58 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Sweet 94, I've never seen a nicer black pony that year. Love the scoop, I'm 53 yrs young.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

A word of caution. A LOT of people with tints on this body style have problems with the window weather stripes leaving long streaks and scratches in the tint. I've got some, but it's really bad right where the window goes down to open the door. So keep in mind not to roll them up and down 10 times a trip and get an installer who will stand behind their work because it WILL go bad eventually
Old 05-17-2012, 01:34 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rylay
A word of caution. A LOT of people with tints on this body style have problems with the window weather stripes leaving long streaks and scratches in the tint. I've got some, but it's really bad right where the window goes down to open the door. So keep in mind not to roll them up and down 10 times a trip and get an installer who will stand behind their work because it WILL go bad eventually
+1

He'll need the 08'+ weather stripping, or some aftermarket moleskin to keep the tint pristine.

I had no problems with mine (yet lol) and I had none of the weatherstripping altered. But you are correct, there will need to be some changes to the stripping if he has a 07 or older S197.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I have 5% on my '05. It has quarter window louvers and black interior. The tint is very dark, it feels like I'm in a little cave, but I love that.
At night be prepared to roll down your windows to reverse, because you can't really see through.

My husband also has 5% on his black 370z and he likes it a lot. The black paint with dark tint looks very nice.

Neither of us have had any issues with cops... yet. And I've had my tints since Nov. '10.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:36 PM
iAerials
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
I have 5% on my '05. It has quarter window louvers and black interior. The tint is very dark, it feels like I'm in a little cave, but I love that.
At night be prepared to roll down your windows to reverse, because you can't really see through.

My husband also has 5% on his black 370z and he likes it a lot. The black paint with dark tint looks very nice.

Neither of us have had any issues with cops... yet. And I've had my tints since Nov. '10.

Thanks for the input, and i see that you live in Oklahoma. I live in Jersey and the cops out here are probably a lot different. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your state is probably a lot more free than Jersey. The cops here honestly pull people over for doing 41 in a 40.